Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

SearchHomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Diana Gabaldon- Outlander Series - the whole series!

Go down 
+12
Starbrites
sabby
shirleyjo
Greencat
kimba
hopsngrapes
Oh Yes
doxielover
FaeLadyFaye
2shay
Dragonlady
uapeople
16 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 15 ... 27, 28, 29, 30, 31  Next
AuthorMessage
uapeople

uapeople

Diana Gabaldon- Outlander Series - the whole series! - Page 28 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Diana Gabaldon- Outlander Series - the whole series!   Diana Gabaldon- Outlander Series - the whole series! - Page 28 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 23, 2012 6:42 am

Yes I did. Verra much loved it sassanach.
Back to top Go down
Doppleganger
Admin
Doppleganger

PostSubject: Re: Diana Gabaldon- Outlander Series - the whole series!   Diana Gabaldon- Outlander Series - the whole series! - Page 28 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 23, 2012 8:14 am

I love the daily lines! Going back to a young Jamie is a trip.

Btw, I'm still killing the brown recluses. Evil little fuckers. I will not be swayed!
Back to top Go down
FaeLadyFaye
FaeLadyFaye

PostSubject: Re: Diana Gabaldon- Outlander Series - the whole series!   Diana Gabaldon- Outlander Series - the whole series! - Page 28 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 23, 2012 8:23 am

Can't you get necrotizing fasciitis from recluse bites? Scary!
Back to top Go down
Doppleganger
Admin
Doppleganger

PostSubject: Re: Diana Gabaldon- Outlander Series - the whole series!   Diana Gabaldon- Outlander Series - the whole series! - Page 28 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 23, 2012 9:07 am

Yes. So bring on the pesticides and boot soles! KIIIILL!!
Back to top Go down
2shay

PostSubject: Re: Diana Gabaldon- Outlander Series - the whole series!   Diana Gabaldon- Outlander Series - the whole series! - Page 28 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 23, 2012 9:40 am

Hey....I kill em, too! You wouldn't believe what they can do to a horses face. Can rot to the bone. Nasty. Not a fan of spiders in my personal space. Most commercial pesticides just aren't as effective as they once were.
Back to top Go down
Doppleganger
Admin
Doppleganger

PostSubject: Re: Diana Gabaldon- Outlander Series - the whole series!   Diana Gabaldon- Outlander Series - the whole series! - Page 28 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 23, 2012 6:14 pm

star Fiery Cross star

I can't get this book out of my head, and this little detail is bugging me! They figured out that Jemmy can travel, because the jewels 'sing' and heat up for him and they all seem to be wondering about Roger, Bree and Jemmy going back to the 1970's. But when they travel, they travel backwards ~200 years from their natural time and Jemmy was born in the 1770's not the 1970's. Wouldn't he travel back to the 1570's while his parents go to the 1970's? I'm a little surprised they are just assuming he'll go to the same time as his parents, when they don't know what anchors a person to their 'natural time'. I would have assumed that the time you were born in would be your anchor. scratch

Am I overthinking? There's a bunch about the time travel that is not explained....maybe that's because we're not supposed to think about it!
Back to top Go down
2shay

PostSubject: Re: Diana Gabaldon- Outlander Series - the whole series!   Diana Gabaldon- Outlander Series - the whole series! - Page 28 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 24, 2012 6:23 am

I have seen that discussed on some other boards. Lots of people think about that. I think the opinion I have heard is that a traveler who knows how to "direct" their travel can go either way if they focus. We know that Claire took things into the past that didn't belong there. I just assumed that if Bree or Roger was holding Jemmy, he would naturally go where they directed since they had traveled before. Convoluted? Yes. I don't know if DG said it herself or if someone else said it, but the whole series may be ended with Raymond's story. We are pretty sure that Raymond can travel beyond 200 years. Or can keep jumping....or something.
Back to top Go down
Doppleganger
Admin
Doppleganger

PostSubject: Re: Diana Gabaldon- Outlander Series - the whole series!   Diana Gabaldon- Outlander Series - the whole series! - Page 28 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 24, 2012 6:41 am

Raymond even came.up in Fiery Cross. It would be nice if he made an appearance, but at least he was mentioned. Wonder what time he is from?
Back to top Go down
uapeople

uapeople

PostSubject: Re: Diana Gabaldon- Outlander Series - the whole series!   Diana Gabaldon- Outlander Series - the whole series! - Page 28 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 24, 2012 7:15 am

Yes, 2shay described it well...someone in a certain time usually "pulls" or guides them. Many think it was Jamie that pulled Claire and Frank who pulled her back, but others think that Claire's closeness to Frank's lineage had her pulled by BJR and that the family line may be the pulling force. There is that stuff that Raymond said about the red man (Jamie). I think that has something to do as well. Without spoiling too much, you are about to maybe bump into some alive and/or dead time travelers soon, if you haven't already. As for the going both ways, it is inferred that Raymound travels forward and not back and Claire went back (to 1700's 2x) and forth (1900s) herself.
Back to top Go down
2shay

PostSubject: Re: Diana Gabaldon- Outlander Series - the whole series!   Diana Gabaldon- Outlander Series - the whole series! - Page 28 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 24, 2012 7:22 am

uap---Raymond only travels forward? I guess I missed that. I just thought he could jump both ways and just knew how to direct himself. Of course, he did have all those extinct skeletons. Hmmmm.....new things to think about. Thanks.

ETA: The question, or delimma, to me is centered around Claire. She brought her twentieth century knowledge back to the eighteenth century. We know she changed history just by the lives she saved or helped to save. But, the fact that she brought that knowledge back in time? So.....was Claire's 18th century self changing the medical knowledge that she would then learn in the 20th century? Isn't that a paradox? Can you learn in one "time" from things you "learned" in anothe rthat might not have been "known" at that particular time if yoy hadn't gone back in time? Sheesh.....I can't even make sense of the question much less figure out the answer.
Back to top Go down
uapeople

uapeople

PostSubject: Re: Diana Gabaldon- Outlander Series - the whole series!   Diana Gabaldon- Outlander Series - the whole series! - Page 28 Icon_minitimeSun Mar 25, 2012 8:28 am

I didn't mean that he could only travel forward, but just that that is what he seems to be doing.
She is defintely bringing medical knowledge and Bree engineering and gunsmithing. I am wondering now....the rifles George Washington used were supposed to be pretty advanced....hmmmm. Oh and Jamie's printing things that were yet said also. I think some medical things were just being figured out but she is spreading the knowledge. Not sure if she was supposed to be part of the advancement originally or not...like is she supposed to be in the past and that is the real history and she didn't really change a thing only thought she did. Ok now my head is spinning.
Back to top Go down
2shay

PostSubject: Re: Diana Gabaldon- Outlander Series - the whole series!   Diana Gabaldon- Outlander Series - the whole series! - Page 28 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 26, 2012 9:53 am

I KNOW! If you start to think about it, it can make your head hurt! Was she learning the things in the 20th century that she had helped to advance in the 18th? OMG....plus all the other things you mentioned. Bree's shematic of a better shotgun? Her paper making and pipe making? Same question. All the politics. Questions, questions.

If Claire hadn't gone back to the 20th century before Culloden, would medical knowledge have been set back because she wasn't there in the 20th century to learn the things she then took back 20 years later? Sheesh.....I think I will just let this subject go. Too complex for me. Well, I probably won't actually let it go. Just stop worrying about it.
Back to top Go down
Doppleganger
Admin
Doppleganger

PostSubject: Re: Diana Gabaldon- Outlander Series - the whole series!   Diana Gabaldon- Outlander Series - the whole series! - Page 28 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 26, 2012 10:29 am

Pass the tylenol, please!
There's a theme of free will vs. fatalism in these books. Jamie us a firm believer in free will, but even he can't deny that knowlege of future events doesn't lead to an ability to change them.
No easy answers, but it makes for interesting questions!

Safety pins! I'd think that the safety pins Bree made for Jemmy would have been in high demand if anyone else saw them.
Back to top Go down
2shay

PostSubject: Re: Diana Gabaldon- Outlander Series - the whole series!   Diana Gabaldon- Outlander Series - the whole series! - Page 28 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 26, 2012 12:03 pm

Wow.....yes! The safety pins! And matches! Matches may have been one of the biggies. I can't believe I just thought of those. And....they have convinced a lot of people that the Old Ones are real, so it may not all be positive.

ETA: Ether and pennicilyn!.....knowledge about sperm and syphlis......
Back to top Go down
uapeople

uapeople

PostSubject: Re: Diana Gabaldon- Outlander Series - the whole series!   Diana Gabaldon- Outlander Series - the whole series! - Page 28 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 26, 2012 12:49 pm

Or the unfinished water to the house through the irrigation clay pipes.
Back to top Go down
2shay

PostSubject: Re: Diana Gabaldon- Outlander Series - the whole series!   Diana Gabaldon- Outlander Series - the whole series! - Page 28 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 26, 2012 1:19 pm

You know, I can remember....even though I was pretty young....when our little town replaced the clay water mains with metal pipes. Those clay pipes were around for a long, long time.
Back to top Go down
uapeople

uapeople

PostSubject: Re: Diana Gabaldon- Outlander Series - the whole series!   Diana Gabaldon- Outlander Series - the whole series! - Page 28 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 27, 2012 9:59 am

I just have to say it after the last few days of tweets coming back to the same line...

"Fuck the resemblance!"
Back to top Go down
Doppleganger
Admin
Doppleganger

PostSubject: Re: Diana Gabaldon- Outlander Series - the whole series!   Diana Gabaldon- Outlander Series - the whole series! - Page 28 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 27, 2012 8:23 pm

LOL, I better catch up on my Gabaldon books. These snippets are spoiling me something fierce!
But I can't stop reading them.
Back to top Go down
uapeople

uapeople

PostSubject: Re: Diana Gabaldon- Outlander Series - the whole series!   Diana Gabaldon- Outlander Series - the whole series! - Page 28 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 28, 2012 10:39 am

Oh noooo you shouldn't....major spoilers
Back to top Go down
Doppleganger
Admin
Doppleganger

PostSubject: Re: Diana Gabaldon- Outlander Series - the whole series!   Diana Gabaldon- Outlander Series - the whole series! - Page 28 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 28, 2012 10:58 am

Guess I bettet pick up ABOSAA after Lover Reborn and catch up. Because I can't stop - they are too good!

star Fiery Cross star

Today's quote has me wondering about Ian and why he returned. What happened? He didn't explain in FC, but it couldn't be good. *twitch*
Back to top Go down
uapeople

uapeople

PostSubject: Re: Diana Gabaldon- Outlander Series - the whole series!   Diana Gabaldon- Outlander Series - the whole series! - Page 28 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 28, 2012 1:25 pm

Oh now, bad dopple .... no more spoilers for you.
Back to top Go down
uapeople

uapeople

PostSubject: Re: Diana Gabaldon- Outlander Series - the whole series!   Diana Gabaldon- Outlander Series - the whole series! - Page 28 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 03, 2012 8:03 am

star Book 8 star
OMG I had a horrible flash today....with Jamie having another back issue in the excerpt and him remembering the other time besides the one at the prison...was when Claire found him in the snow and stayed with him. It reminded me of when Jamie found Claire in the snow (both times Ian was a rescuer...wonder if that means anything) when she got stuck in the flood and the horse threw her...(promptly naming him Judas...before he threw her again later on) and she was under teh tree with the skull. Which them reminded me of Geilis's skull found in the cave when she was in teh future...whcih reminded me of Jamie and Calire finding the bones of 2 bodies in a cave and reflecting on how it was kind of bitter sweet but they were together taking their last breath...and Jamie and Jemmy finding that cave by accident and Jemmy almost getting them stuck falling on him but where they had the gold...and Jemmy in the cave with the time travel crack...ok so I guess what I am getting at is there is lots of caves and skulls...but now the back thing has happened a third time for Jamie and a really horrible thought came to me....what if Jamie's back gives out and Claire stays and dies with him in a cave or something? I also had a completely unrelated thought...When Frank met Jamie's ghost in Outlander, he accuses Claire of cheating during the war which seems kinda strange about a ghost making him so adamant. maybe Jamie told him quite a bit about time traveling, etc and tells her when he sends her back you must care for her and train his daughter in all things that will be helpful in the past...or something. Also, I wonder if somehow Murtaugh met Roger in the past and he knows so much more and that is why he pledges himself to Jamie and not for Ellen like we are led to believe?
Back to top Go down
2shay

PostSubject: Re: Diana Gabaldon- Outlander Series - the whole series!   Diana Gabaldon- Outlander Series - the whole series! - Page 28 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 03, 2012 9:40 am

Wow, uap.....your brain is going full blast. Interesting....
Back to top Go down
uapeople

uapeople

PostSubject: Re: Diana Gabaldon- Outlander Series - the whole series!   Diana Gabaldon- Outlander Series - the whole series! - Page 28 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 03, 2012 10:12 am

oh and don't forget Jamie was in the cave in his Dunbonnet years and remember they said it was like he wasn't human and there were times when Claire/Jamie felt each other sort of? Something with caves I tell you!
Back to top Go down
Starbrites

Starbrites

PostSubject: Re: Diana Gabaldon- Outlander Series - the whole series!   Diana Gabaldon- Outlander Series - the whole series! - Page 28 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 03, 2012 5:00 pm

Damn uap! Now you have my brain going into a million directions. I am pretty sure after I finish the books I have here from the library I am doing a reread of this series. Those damn Daily Quotes are bugging the crap out of me not to mention all the talk going on in this thread..
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Diana Gabaldon- Outlander Series - the whole series!   Diana Gabaldon- Outlander Series - the whole series! - Page 28 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Diana Gabaldon- Outlander Series - the whole series!
Page 28 of 31Go to page : Previous  1 ... 15 ... 27, 28, 29, 30, 31  Next