Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

SearchHomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Diana Gabaldon- Outlander Series - the whole series!

Go down 
+12
Starbrites
sabby
shirleyjo
Greencat
kimba
hopsngrapes
Oh Yes
doxielover
FaeLadyFaye
2shay
Dragonlady
uapeople
16 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 12 ... 20, 21, 22 ... 26 ... 31  Next
AuthorMessage
2shay

Diana Gabaldon- Outlander Series - the whole series! - Page 21 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Diana Gabaldon- Outlander Series - the whole series!   Diana Gabaldon- Outlander Series - the whole series! - Page 21 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 28, 2011 7:49 am

doxie.....be brave....we all had to get through it.......just think, some of us have been waiting almost 3 years for the next book....you will have less than one.

missi.....you haven't read anything in a week? Are you okay? Problems? I have had a few set backs in the last week myself.....like the repair guy stepping through my dining room ceiling. Mad I still just haven't seen the humor in that. Surely someday, I will.
Back to top Go down
Doppleganger
Admin
Doppleganger

PostSubject: Re: Diana Gabaldon- Outlander Series - the whole series!   Diana Gabaldon- Outlander Series - the whole series! - Page 21 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 28, 2011 8:45 am

The ceiling incident is maddening. Such a stupid mistake! No wonder you don't see the humor in it.
But I'll bet the guy's coworkers are giving him all kinds of shit over it. I most certainly would. Every single time he leaves for a job "Careful where you step!". There would be a bunch of plays on the phrase "fall through" and some "glass ceiling" jokes. Assuming of course, that he is still employed there. Dumbass.

Ok, the real pointof my post....a new Outlander book in less than a year? Really? When?!
very happy
Back to top Go down
doxielover

doxielover

PostSubject: Re: Diana Gabaldon- Outlander Series - the whole series!   Diana Gabaldon- Outlander Series - the whole series! - Page 21 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 28, 2011 9:17 am

Shay, I finished the first time about a year ago, wouldn't you think I could complete this book? I will, in a while(length of time not clearly stated). Now that DG has stated that book 8 won't be the last in series, I find myself worrying about Jamie and Claire. They're not getting any younger, my hope for them is they go back to Fraser's Ridge and sit on the porch and enjoy the view. Not their style!!

So many things to speculate about. Generally, I don't do that, I'm along for the ride, but this series is the exception for me!
Back to top Go down
2shay

PostSubject: Re: Diana Gabaldon- Outlander Series - the whole series!   Diana Gabaldon- Outlander Series - the whole series! - Page 21 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 28, 2011 12:33 pm

doxie--I think this book is the exception for a lot of us. The story of Jamie and Claire is long and complex. We know their faults. We know what they are good at. What they think. We know their families. We know their dreams. We know their kids. Mostly we know about their amazing love for each other. Their pain when they were lost to each other. The despair when they both knew...knew...they would never see the other again this side of Heaven. Diana Gabaldon has given us knowledge of these people that we would never have of other fictional characters. Hell, I don't know most of my family this well. What we are, doxie, is invested. I just know that we will be present at the end of Jamie and Claire's lives. It might just kill me.

Voyager

This prayer of Jaime's chokes me nearly to death. Makes it hard to breathe...."Lord, that she may be safe. She and the child."
Back to top Go down
2shay

PostSubject: Re: Diana Gabaldon- Outlander Series - the whole series!   Diana Gabaldon- Outlander Series - the whole series! - Page 21 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 28, 2011 12:34 pm

Dopple---DG has said for a while that the next book, Written With My Own Heart's Blood, will be available sometime in 2012.
Back to top Go down
doxielover

doxielover

PostSubject: Re: Diana Gabaldon- Outlander Series - the whole series!   Diana Gabaldon- Outlander Series - the whole series! - Page 21 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 28, 2011 3:27 pm

Ok, I read it and it wasn't as difficult as I thought. This time I TRIED to be more objective, and it worked. Yes, I'm absolutely invested in this series.
Back to top Go down
mlssglbrt9

mlssglbrt9

PostSubject: Re: Diana Gabaldon- Outlander Series - the whole series!   Diana Gabaldon- Outlander Series - the whole series! - Page 21 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 28, 2011 6:53 pm

2shay wrote:
doxie.....be brave....we all had to get through it.......just think, some of us have been waiting almost 3 years for the next book....you will have less than one.

missi.....you haven't read anything in a week? Are you okay? Problems? I have had a few set backs in the last week myself.....like the repair guy stepping through my dining room ceiling. Mad I still just haven't seen the humor in that. Surely someday, I will.

Believe me, I wish I could just step through some stones and wind up in Scotland right now. I've been working 80-90 hours week since August. It's starting to catch up with me.
Back to top Go down
http://evolutionofalifestyle.blogspot.com
Doppleganger
Admin
Doppleganger

PostSubject: Re: Diana Gabaldon- Outlander Series - the whole series!   Diana Gabaldon- Outlander Series - the whole series! - Page 21 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 28, 2011 9:08 pm

80-90 hours since August? Good grief, woman! I can't believe it's just now starting to catch up with you. You're made of tougher stuff than me.

When the OT binge is over, you definately deserve a fabulous vacation.
Back to top Go down
2shay

PostSubject: Re: Diana Gabaldon- Outlander Series - the whole series!   Diana Gabaldon- Outlander Series - the whole series! - Page 21 Icon_minitimeSat Oct 29, 2011 7:06 am

Missi--when do you get a break? Wow. Lots of hours.

Voyager

Jamie fainted! I knew he was going to faint. Laughed again. He sat on the ale pot and thought he had pissed himself!
Back to top Go down
mlssglbrt9

mlssglbrt9

PostSubject: Re: Diana Gabaldon- Outlander Series - the whole series!   Diana Gabaldon- Outlander Series - the whole series! - Page 21 Icon_minitimeSat Oct 29, 2011 10:00 am

I teach college, so I will get a break in December when we're out for the winter break. I am an adjunct, so I am contracted per class where the full timers are salaried. The full time teachers teach 4-5 per term... they gave me 10.
Back to top Go down
2shay

PostSubject: Re: Diana Gabaldon- Outlander Series - the whole series!   Diana Gabaldon- Outlander Series - the whole series! - Page 21 Icon_minitimeSat Oct 29, 2011 10:08 am

Damn...missi.....hang in there...
Back to top Go down
mlssglbrt9

mlssglbrt9

PostSubject: Re: Diana Gabaldon- Outlander Series - the whole series!   Diana Gabaldon- Outlander Series - the whole series! - Page 21 Icon_minitimeSat Oct 29, 2011 12:20 pm

I'm trying. Thanks. I am certainly getting burned out though. I did get to pick Outlander back up last night though. smile
Back to top Go down
2shay

PostSubject: Re: Diana Gabaldon- Outlander Series - the whole series!   Diana Gabaldon- Outlander Series - the whole series! - Page 21 Icon_minitimeSat Oct 29, 2011 4:53 pm

Ohhhh......ahhhhhh....enjoy!
Back to top Go down
2shay

PostSubject: Re: Diana Gabaldon- Outlander Series - the whole series!   Diana Gabaldon- Outlander Series - the whole series! - Page 21 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 01, 2011 7:35 am

star Voyager star

I don't know why, exactly, but I think I know. Why, on third reading, this book was so emotional. I alredy know what's about to happen. I am already sniveling when the words are said. This story gets better and better with the rereading. I understand better why Claire did the things she did; why Jaime didn't tell Claire everything. The NEED between these two people is palpable. I even understand Jenny better. I hated Jenny after two readings of this book. I don't anymore. I understand why she did the things she did. Seeing her brother so....empty...was too much. She would have done anything to try to help him. She did the wrong thing but was trying to give him something. I even understand Leghair better. We find out more in later books, but Leghair wanted someone who needed her...Jamie never did and never would. And Ian. Jamie loved him so much. He needed to have a son to love. He knew he would never have wee Willie. And Lord John just killed me when he asked Claire if she knew what it was to never be able to hold or help or comfort the one you love just because you were born the wrong person. So, so good. I don't think there could ever be anything better the the Outlander series. sigh....
Back to top Go down
Starbrites

Starbrites

PostSubject: Re: Diana Gabaldon- Outlander Series - the whole series!   Diana Gabaldon- Outlander Series - the whole series! - Page 21 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 01, 2011 8:49 am

With all the books i've read so far I think I have to agree with you shay. Yes I love all the supernatural stuff but The Outlander series is just so emotional and real that your whole heart goes into the book while your reading it. She makes everything so visual that you feel like your right next to them living the same things as they are.
Back to top Go down
uapeople

uapeople

PostSubject: Re: Diana Gabaldon- Outlander Series - the whole series!   Diana Gabaldon- Outlander Series - the whole series! - Page 21 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 01, 2011 9:24 am

doxielover wrote:
Shay, I finished the first time about a year ago, wouldn't you think I could complete this book? I will, in a while(length of time not clearly stated). Now that DG has stated that book 8 won't be the last in series, I find myself worrying about Jamie and Claire. They're not getting any younger, my hope for them is they go back to Fraser's Ridge and sit on the porch and enjoy the view. Not their style!!

So many things to speculate about. Generally, I don't do that, I'm along for the ride, but this series is the exception for me!

Sorry I haven't been around. RL and I having been having emotional distress lately

Glad everyone is enjoying themselves reading and rereading!

star possible ending star
....anyway thought I would put it out there that many times DG has said the series would end in Scotland around 1800....anyway for me I remember Roger saying that the cemetery where the fake tombstone for Jamie that Frank put up and BJR are in a cemetery that was desecrated around 1800...coincidence? I think not. Anyway Jamie's ghost coming to Claire in Outlander is another thing we find out about in the last book.
Back to top Go down
2shay

PostSubject: Re: Diana Gabaldon- Outlander Series - the whole series!   Diana Gabaldon- Outlander Series - the whole series! - Page 21 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 01, 2011 12:24 pm

uap---If you are right? I think Jamie was born about 1720-23? Don't remember the exact date. If you are right...and you usually are....he would be in his late 70's when he dies. I hope you are wrong...wrong...wrong! I want him to live into his 90's, at least! He missed Bree and Willie's childhood and now Jem and Mandy are gone forward. I want them to come back so Jamie and Claire can be with their kids and grandkids and great grandkids. Somewhere in time...they deserve some peace. Or....I want them to find a way to take Jamie forward....not likely.

star a little spoilerish star

I think Jem or Mandy will wind up in Parliment or maybe Prime Minister. Fulfilling the proshesy. Some how, some way....Jamie and Claire HAVE to KNOW that....! HAVE TO!
Back to top Go down
uapeople

uapeople

PostSubject: Re: Diana Gabaldon- Outlander Series - the whole series!   Diana Gabaldon- Outlander Series - the whole series! - Page 21 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 01, 2011 4:56 pm

Jaime was 22 or 23 depending on the version you read when you meet him in outlander. I believe Clare is 28. So this was before the 45 and she went back in 1746. I think between the whole G debacle and Jaime's getting better then them going to France, etc and the the war that was like 21/2 to 3 years right. So if Jamie was 23 and it was and I think it was 42 when we meet him, that would make him almost ummm 1800-1742=58 + 23=81 and that would mesn Claire would be 86 or so. Pretty darn old for the 18c.
Back to top Go down
2shay

PostSubject: Re: Diana Gabaldon- Outlander Series - the whole series!   Diana Gabaldon- Outlander Series - the whole series! - Page 21 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 02, 2011 10:13 am

Ahem.... not worthy to your math skills. That would be pretty old.

Spoilerish....wishful thinking....

I don't think Jamie was buried at St. Kilda. I think Frank had the stone put there for Claire to find. I think Frank knows exactly what happened to them. He would have found everything. He was a great historian. I think they are buried on Frazier's Ridge. Together. I think Frank found their graves and knew. He knew Bree would go back, too. That's why he taught her things that would help her. Just me thinking here. Don't ask me to prove any of it. Can't.

ETA: Starting Drums of Autumn

Back to top Go down
uapeople

uapeople

PostSubject: Re: Diana Gabaldon- Outlander Series - the whole series!   Diana Gabaldon- Outlander Series - the whole series! - Page 21 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 02, 2011 12:59 pm

Spoilerish...
Well, I wonder if one of the time travellers will go to 1800 Scotland and figure it out...like maybe Roger since he shoudl be a priest and if it is the graveyard that has a mystery...and if he can get back from wherever he is now...because that is where and when DG said it would end.
Back to top Go down
2shay

PostSubject: Re: Diana Gabaldon- Outlander Series - the whole series!   Diana Gabaldon- Outlander Series - the whole series! - Page 21 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 02, 2011 3:33 pm

Really, uap? DG said it would end in 1800? In Scotland? I don't keep up with all her posts...way too many.
Back to top Go down
sabby

sabby

PostSubject: Re: Diana Gabaldon- Outlander Series - the whole series!   Diana Gabaldon- Outlander Series - the whole series! - Page 21 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 02, 2011 9:42 pm

omg not worthy I finally finally finished Fiery Cross..... after forever and a day!!!!! The audiobooks are really fantastic but they are just too time consuming (for me).

So since its been so long I'm sure I've forgotten a lot of details but:
star spoilers FC star

So yes overall it seemed like a much slower book than the others but overall despite what it may have seemed with my slow listening I did enjoy hearing about the day to day life of those times.

My goodness I really felt for Roger in this book; he just went through so much with the h***ing, I found it so devastating. So yeah I mean should he have kissed M? obviously not but for such a seemingly harmless gesture wow to lose something that he felt proud of and could contribute was so depressing. I mean it must be so hard to have to constantly be compared to a man like Jamie Frasier and to add to that himself being your father 'n' law. And than the fire and I don't know I just felt for the guy??

It was great to get the historical reference to where the Fiery Cross came from and so sad what its evolved to symbolize.... very sad . And I loved, loved loved that Ian and Rolo are back. Am very curious to find out why.

Since I've heard what an emotional rollercoaster ABOSAA is I'm going to hold off for a few weeks; but will hopefully start around Thanksgiving.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Diana Gabaldon- Outlander Series - the whole series!   Diana Gabaldon- Outlander Series - the whole series! - Page 21 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 02, 2011 10:00 pm

Congratulations Sabby on finishing TFC! You are almost to the finish line. happy dance

Back to top Go down
uapeople

uapeople

PostSubject: Re: Diana Gabaldon- Outlander Series - the whole series!   Diana Gabaldon- Outlander Series - the whole series! - Page 21 Icon_minitimeThu Nov 03, 2011 6:20 am

It was even in one of the printed Outlander books I read....interview questions. That is one of them. I have read that many times.

Yeah you got through FC....many people have trouble with that one and feel it is slow, but there is so much and so many people and plots you notice when reading the 2nd time reading the series that it isn't slow at all. You are like....I should have noticed that or seen that coming, etc. I esp loved the Marsali's waking the child and then running when blessing the babies...lol
Back to top Go down
2shay

PostSubject: Re: Diana Gabaldon- Outlander Series - the whole series!   Diana Gabaldon- Outlander Series - the whole series! - Page 21 Icon_minitimeThu Nov 03, 2011 8:47 am

I struggled with Fiery Cross the first time.....made LOTS of comments about it being boring. Second time I read it I was totally fascinated! First reading this story I just wanted to get past everythine that didn't have to do directly with Claire and Jamie. I would nearly be...fretting!..to get past all the detail and detail and detail about everyone and everything that wasn't Claire or Jamie. Second reading I fell in love....totally fell in love!...with Roger and Bree and Ian. On this, my third reading, I am actually taking a more balanced look at the WHOLE story. Trying to fit things together that happen in later books. Speaking of which....

star Drums of Autumn star

When Claire and Jamie go to dinner with the Governor the first time; where they met Philip Wylie and others. After the dinner, Claire went to their room and was holding the ruby in her hand....the one they were trying to sell...and noticed that it felt warm in her hand. Then she noticed that she could almost feel something....something like a heart beat. This is really important later and I seemed to have missed it in both previous readings.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Diana Gabaldon- Outlander Series - the whole series!   Diana Gabaldon- Outlander Series - the whole series! - Page 21 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Diana Gabaldon- Outlander Series - the whole series!
Page 21 of 31Go to page : Previous  1 ... 12 ... 20, 21, 22 ... 26 ... 31  Next