Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

SearchHomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Outlander Series for NEW readers of the series

Go down 
+6
Oh Yes
Doppleganger
uapeople
sabby
2shay
Greencat
10 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
AuthorMessage

Outlander Series for NEW readers of the series Empty
PostSubject: Outlander Series for NEW readers of the series   Outlander Series for NEW readers of the series Icon_minitimeSun Mar 20, 2011 1:49 pm

We ask that posters are really vigilant about not putting up spoilers - the other thread has a number of spoilers which will ruin the read for newbies - so continue the open discussion there but here we ask for star spoiler star stars star on any post that needs them. Thanks

1. Outlander
2. Dragonfly in Amber
3. Voyager
4. The Drums of Autumn
5. The Fiery Cross
6. A Breath of Snow and Ashes
7. An Echo in the Bone

Swede, g-p and the mod squad Suspect
Back to top Go down
Greencat

Greencat

PostSubject: Re: Outlander Series for NEW readers of the series   Outlander Series for NEW readers of the series Icon_minitimeSun Mar 20, 2011 3:09 pm

Thanks for this thread Swede, to dangerous in the other thread, spoiler galores over there. Nice for us new readers to have a chance to catch up and then pop over to chat with the other ladies. :study:
Back to top Go down
2shay

PostSubject: Re: Outlander Series for NEW readers of the series   Outlander Series for NEW readers of the series Icon_minitimeSun Mar 20, 2011 4:13 pm

Wow...this is wonderful! Greencat.....just give a shout. Any of us will jump over here to chat about whatever thoughts you might be having. Where have you gotten to in Outlander?
Back to top Go down
sabby

sabby

PostSubject: Re: Outlander Series for NEW readers of the series   Outlander Series for NEW readers of the series Icon_minitimeSun Mar 20, 2011 6:57 pm

I have reserved Outlander at the library both the book and audiobook; lets see what's available first?? Cant wait to discuss. Autumn been on my to read these forever and it seems like its had rave reviews. Hopefully I'll be able to catch up Greencat
Back to top Go down
2shay

PostSubject: Re: Outlander Series for NEW readers of the series   Outlander Series for NEW readers of the series Icon_minitimeSun Mar 20, 2011 7:16 pm

Sabby--Welcome to our obsession! James Alexander Malcolm MacKensey Fraser!
Back to top Go down
uapeople

uapeople

PostSubject: Re: Outlander Series for NEW readers of the series   Outlander Series for NEW readers of the series Icon_minitimeMon Mar 21, 2011 2:06 pm

2shay, what if Sabby's pic had some curly red hair? Jamie, maybe? Love the chocolate...very decadent in that time.
Back to top Go down
sabby

sabby

PostSubject: Re: Outlander Series for NEW readers of the series   Outlander Series for NEW readers of the series Icon_minitimeWed Apr 06, 2011 9:21 pm

So I've finally gotten started on Outlander!!!! I'm about 3/4 way through and absolutely LOVE it!!! I was really worried because for like the first 40 pages I was strugglin could not keep my attention; I said holy shit I was so revved up and 😢.

But low and behold as soon as I get thrown back in time and introduced to some rugged highland warrior I cant stop reading..... go figure. Apparently all you need to keep me awake is a behemoth troglodyte in a kilt!!!!!
I'll keep y'all posted; what book are you up to now Greencat?
Back to top Go down
Doppleganger
Admin
Doppleganger

PostSubject: Re: Outlander Series for NEW readers of the series   Outlander Series for NEW readers of the series Icon_minitimeWed Apr 06, 2011 10:07 pm

I think I might be the only reader here that actually liked Frank and the beginning of Outlander. Maybe that's why I had such a negative reaction to Jamie. (?) Poor guy took a lot of verbal abuse from me as I read Outlander! Laughing

Are you reading Outlander GreenCat? I've read through Drums of Autumn. Obviously, I got over my anger with Mr. James Alexander Malcolm MacKensey Fraser. Now I adore his kilty charms. smile
Back to top Go down
uapeople

uapeople

PostSubject: Re: Outlander Series for NEW readers of the series   Outlander Series for NEW readers of the series Icon_minitimeThu Apr 07, 2011 6:44 am

Yes, It took us all a bit with the meh Frank and the herbology in the beginning, but once Jamie starts showing up...well then. Dopple, it's OK, Frank ain't all that bad, he just doesn't add up to Jamie once you get to know Jamie that is!
Back to top Go down
2shay

PostSubject: Re: Outlander Series for NEW readers of the series   Outlander Series for NEW readers of the series Icon_minitimeThu Apr 07, 2011 8:39 am

I think it took all of us a little while to really get reved about these books, but once it happens....look out! Full tilt addiction. The Joshlandia world is the only thing that measures up.

LOL@ Dopple-- You were pretty tough on Jamie, but you weren't reading these when I got to the part that sent you in a tail spin. Won't mention because of new readers. I used fowl language about him on the CH board and got a hearty ear thumping for it.
Back to top Go down
uapeople

uapeople

PostSubject: Re: Outlander Series for NEW readers of the series   Outlander Series for NEW readers of the series Icon_minitimeThu Apr 07, 2011 9:17 am

Yes, but later on we kind of understood why he did that and felt that way and even Claire did, too.
Back to top Go down
Oh Yes

Oh Yes

PostSubject: Re: Outlander Series for NEW readers of the series   Outlander Series for NEW readers of the series Icon_minitimeThu Apr 07, 2011 8:41 pm

Welcome to the fold Sabby! I am a virgin Outlander series reader too, but I am on Voyager. I am sure you can catch up though, because I am a slow reader, and then I need a break in between books.

Frank vs. Jamie - is there really any choice???????? I will take his Highland Hotness every time.
Back to top Go down
sabby

sabby

PostSubject: Re: Outlander Series for NEW readers of the series   Outlander Series for NEW readers of the series Icon_minitimeFri Apr 08, 2011 12:04 am

Outlander-
Yeah I didn't like Frank, he just seemed so distant an aloof most of the time. But I will also say I wasnt quite sold on Jaime right away either; but I am absolutely sold now!!!

I finished finally and OMG!! There are so many scenes where I cried; it was so gut wrenching what Jaime went through with Randall. I have absolutely never read anything with so much impact (that I can recall)!!! :| I cant believe a man could suffer so much physical and mental torture in one life time?? I'm starting book 2 right now; which I've already heard is a tear jerker.... so not sure if it can surpass the tears I already shed. Under normal circumstances Oh Yes I would say that I could probably catch up, but I have the feeling I'm going to have to take a few breaks myself because this is some heavy shit!!!

I already yelled at Autumn for Pimpin this, now I'm yelling at the rest of you!!!!! :x ...... JK Wink
Back to top Go down
Greencat

Greencat

PostSubject: Re: Outlander Series for NEW readers of the series   Outlander Series for NEW readers of the series Icon_minitimeFri Apr 08, 2011 1:48 am

Sabby you have made me go back to it now lol. I got a bit sidetracked with other stuff. :oops: but sounds like its worth sticking with.

Does anyone else have trouble reading sabby's posts? The avatar is rather hmm distracting. Sorry what was I saying again? Something about chocolate......hehehehe
Back to top Go down
2shay

PostSubject: Re: Outlander Series for NEW readers of the series   Outlander Series for NEW readers of the series Icon_minitimeFri Apr 08, 2011 7:34 am

Sabby--Black Jack Randall is my personal, all time worst human ever depicted in literature. I found many other places to cry in Outlander. I also found many places to be just really, really pissed off about the way women were treated as a matter of course.

Back to top Go down
uapeople

uapeople

PostSubject: Re: Outlander Series for NEW readers of the series   Outlander Series for NEW readers of the series Icon_minitimeFri Apr 08, 2011 9:36 am

I said it was an emotional rollercoaster. My first read through the series, I couldn't function in normal life if I was at certain parts. A book or series had and has never affected my real life and my emotions outside of reading as much as this series has. The second time I read it I could function, but barely. The third time I am much better, but I am listening to audio this time in my car while reading different series to keep me preoccupied!
Back to top Go down
sabby

sabby

PostSubject: Re: Outlander Series for NEW readers of the series   Outlander Series for NEW readers of the series Icon_minitimeFri Apr 08, 2011 2:26 pm

Yes I have to say Black Jack Randall is probably at the top of my list now as well; sick evil Bastard!!!! I know UA thats why I yelled at Autumn; I was supposed to go to the gym but was in such a state of depression, I just could not get motivated... seemed so trivial!!!

Anyway started DIA⭐ and..... I'm not loving it thus far. I'm quite upset actually that after all they both suffered but especially Jaime; Claire leaves and goes back to the future!!!! Obviously she was misinformed that Jaime died on the battlefield (I'm assuming) but still? Cant imagine how she went back to Frank given the likeness to his gggggggrandpaps!! Not his fault but to look into his face with the knowledge she has; I'd cringe. And beloved Jaime to be robbed of raising his daughter; Im quite PISSED to be honest!! :x Hhhhhhmmmmm I know, I know keep reading. I'm hoping there is a rainbow at the end of this storm y'all!!! Suspect
Back to top Go down
Oh Yes

Oh Yes

PostSubject: Re: Outlander Series for NEW readers of the series   Outlander Series for NEW readers of the series Icon_minitimeFri Apr 08, 2011 4:36 pm

Rainbow on the way! Hang in there. :D

Yes, JR is the slime of slimedom. He seems like such an evil, evil villain IMO because he is human, and so many of the villains I read about are supes.
Back to top Go down
2shay

PostSubject: Re: Outlander Series for NEW readers of the series   Outlander Series for NEW readers of the series Icon_minitimeFri Apr 08, 2011 9:44 pm

Just keep reading, I was mad at Claire, too.
Back to top Go down
Doppleganger
Admin
Doppleganger

PostSubject: Re: Outlander Series for NEW readers of the series   Outlander Series for NEW readers of the series Icon_minitimeFri Apr 08, 2011 10:35 pm

I thought the beginning of DIA was so disorienting -- kept checking to make sure I hadn't skipped a book!

But hang tight sabby. It all comes together. And there might even be a rainbow or two in the process. Wink

Birds fly over the rainbow. Why then, oh, why can't I?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Outlander Series for NEW readers of the series   Outlander Series for NEW readers of the series Icon_minitimeFri Apr 08, 2011 11:53 pm

Helllo my friends!

Sabby, I promise you that DIA gets better. It is one of my favorites in the series. Well, a smidgen of that might have to do with my name being in the title! :D

Honestly, I liked Frank and the earlier part of Outlander despite the botany. However, I wasn't sold on him being the best possible match for Claire after he was so flippant with if she had an affair during the war he would forgive her. I hope to find out more details on Frank. Mind, I want her with Jamie, just want to know more about Frank.
Back to top Go down
Doppleganger
Admin
Doppleganger

PostSubject: Re: Outlander Series for NEW readers of the series   Outlander Series for NEW readers of the series Icon_minitimeSat Apr 09, 2011 9:06 am

A Frank POV. Would be interesting. There is a lot we simply don't know about Frank.
Back to top Go down
uapeople

uapeople

PostSubject: Re: Outlander Series for NEW readers of the series   Outlander Series for NEW readers of the series Icon_minitimeSat Apr 09, 2011 3:53 pm

star Dia
I would like to see a Frank POV, but I ahve a feeling we may get that one day if someone ever reads his research, books, letters, etc. I mean he WAS a historian of the Jacobites...and he was English. Well yeah he had a notorious ancestor in the BPC uprising time (the 45), but still, it is more than coincidence that both he and Roger's "dad" the Rev are obsessed with that era. Just my opinion.

..and of course having your name in the title is an added bonus! But really there are so manyt sweet times with Jamie and Claire as well as the emotional heartbreak.
Back to top Go down
sabby

sabby

PostSubject: Re: Outlander Series for NEW readers of the series   Outlander Series for NEW readers of the series Icon_minitimeMon Apr 11, 2011 6:51 pm

Dragonfly in Amber star

So I'm about 2/3 the way through and just went through and went through some more emotional scenes; Claire and Jaime are now on there way home to Lollybroch. Wow I was struggling again a little through the Paris story; I was just as irritated with the pettiness of Paris life as Claire I guess you can say (although I did like Mother Hildagarde/Bouton and Master Raymond). But obviouly the end was very dramatic. And that dam Prince Bonny Charlie is such an IDIOT!! I was so upset at Jaime initially for breaking his promise to Claire but than once I heard the story from Fergus OMG; I forgave him. Once again BJR proves what vial scum he is!!!! :evil:
It was so sad that she lost Faith and than having to admit to Jaime how she got him out of the Bastille. That whole scene was so emotionally raw for the both of them I was left breathless!! Off to finish reading.
Back to top Go down
Greencat

Greencat

PostSubject: Re: Outlander Series for NEW readers of the series   Outlander Series for NEW readers of the series Icon_minitimeMon Apr 11, 2011 7:03 pm

Ok I'm getting back into outlander now, and housework is getting done while I listen too smile Starting to enjoy it now, met the famous leghair lol, and I can see why everyone falls in love with Jamie, how can you not he is such a honey.

2shay did I hear you say I told you so just then smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Outlander Series for NEW readers of the series   Outlander Series for NEW readers of the series Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Outlander Series for NEW readers of the series
Page 1 of 10Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next