Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

SearchHomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Name your Literary Poison ....

Go down 
+18
Starbrites
Mochabookluver
calimama
lornadune
Greencat
hmashburn
caligrl
sabby
gracious-plenty
Dragonlady
b4v
hopsngrapes
planetcheese
Doppleganger
2shay
uapeople
FaeLadyFaye
showmethelove
22 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15 ... 28  Next
AuthorMessage
2shay

Name your Literary Poison .... - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Name your Literary Poison ....   Name your Literary Poison .... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 04, 2011 12:43 pm

This Joe Hill book, Horns, is pretty good. The bad crap for the main character, Ig, starts on page 1. It is a little weird and pretty stark. A little further in, the story flashes back to when he was a teenager and gets good. Lots of young boy thoughts and pranks. At the end of chapter 12, I am really enjoying the story.
Back to top Go down
FaeLadyFaye
FaeLadyFaye

PostSubject: Re: Name your Literary Poison ....   Name your Literary Poison .... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 04, 2011 5:37 pm

Nothing to that girl?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Name your Literary Poison ....   Name your Literary Poison .... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 04, 2011 9:31 pm

soory A assumed that jake and her were in bed . . but i am hoping not
Back to top Go down
uapeople

uapeople

PostSubject: Re: Name your Literary Poison ....   Name your Literary Poison .... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 05, 2011 5:28 pm

Done with Seanan McGuires latest star spoilers star lived the Tybalt kiss. Didn't live the Connor one. So, WTH is Toby?? And will we find out about her dead siblings? Is that why her mom is crazy? I guess it's good that her daughter is hiddenawag with z human because I'm sure the far will think her doom and gloom as well snd try to kill her too! This was a very confusing book, but I still enjoyed it.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Name your Literary Poison ....   Name your Literary Poison .... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 05, 2011 6:04 pm

I am looking forward to getting to these books.... One day lol
Back to top Go down
hopsngrapes

hopsngrapes

PostSubject: Flavor of the day...   Name your Literary Poison .... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 05, 2011 10:13 pm

Depends on my mood. I have an eclectic taste. smile Picked up two new books today, I'll be able to say more shortly. :D

Historical Romance: http://deannaraybourn.com/silent_in_the_grave_tp.html
(This book was highly recommended by a woman who has discriminating taste in the genre.)

Paranomal Romance: http://diannesylvan.com/?page_id=377
(WARNING: this book came with reviews warning me if I didn't like a vampire romance, then I shouldn't buy the book. SOLD. LOL! "Show me the smut.") 8)
Back to top Go down
planetcheese

planetcheese

PostSubject: Re: Name your Literary Poison ....   Name your Literary Poison .... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 05, 2011 10:20 pm

I saw Queen of Shadows at the library this week and almost grabbed it. You'll have to let us know how it is. :D
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Name your Literary Poison ....   Name your Literary Poison .... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 05, 2011 10:35 pm

Look forward to hearing about it.... I could do with meeting a new vamp!
Back to top Go down
2shay

PostSubject: Re: Name your Literary Poison ....   Name your Literary Poison .... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 07, 2011 8:33 am

Horns by Joe Hill.

I said I would report on the book, but I am at a loss about what to say. I read it because the reviews said it was "hilarious". Then I sort of got excited about it when I found out that the writer is Stephen King's son.

First of all, this book is not the least bit funny, much less "hilarious". I never so much as grinned. This book is pretty dark. There is a lot of internal theological debate by the main character, Ig. Some of that was very interesting, but not funny. Makes me wonder what kind of people it takes to call this funny. Not my normal genre, so maybe I just don't "get it".

Second, the son of Stephen King. Well, the talent is there. Even though I didn't care for the dark story, I never stopped reading. Joe Hill can definately turn the words to mind pictures, so he learned something from his dad. The darkness at the heart of the story, he also learned at home. He never learned to balance the darkness of The Walking Man (The Stand) with the wonderous shining light of Mother Abigail. This story is not for anyone looking for an HEA.

e this book. Not me. I didn't hate it, understand. It was beautifully constructed and compelling.
There are readers out there who will lovWould I recommend this book to others? Not to anyone on this board. I know what all of you like...me, too! This isn't it. Don't make the mistake of getting into a story that is good enough to keep your hooked that has nothing to offer but dark scowls.

Last edited by 2shay on Mon Mar 07, 2011 8:38 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Edited because the whole thing wound up jumbles! WTF?)
Back to top Go down
FaeLadyFaye
FaeLadyFaye

PostSubject: Re: Name your Literary Poison ....   Name your Literary Poison .... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 07, 2011 8:46 am

There is a cover and release date for the next Sirantha Jax novel! I'm so excited I could almost squee.
Back to top Go down
Doppleganger
Admin
Doppleganger

PostSubject: Re: Name your Literary Poison ....   Name your Literary Poison .... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 07, 2011 8:50 am

Re: Horns

Well, bummer, it sounded so promising. But I need some humor in my books regardless of the genre.

Sirantha Jax...Who;s that?
Back to top Go down
FaeLadyFaye
FaeLadyFaye

PostSubject: Re: Name your Literary Poison ....   Name your Literary Poison .... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 07, 2011 8:55 am

The Sirantha Jax series is by Ann Aguirre. It's science fiction with romance. They are not at all lighthearted in any way shape or form. The first book is Grimspace.
Back to top Go down
uapeople

uapeople

PostSubject: Re: Name your Literary Poison ....   Name your Literary Poison .... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 07, 2011 9:17 am

I started reading "Improper Seduction" by Mary Wine, and I must admit...it is turning into a guilty pleasure. I started reading because it supposedly takes place in 16C Scotland and came in a bundle. I am usually not a straight romance reader, but this is adding elements of history (Henry VIII and his court, the Scottish clans and Highlands, etc) into it. It has no supernatural aspects (well except for hulky Curran physique and a few of the other man- oh and the name Curran reminds me of a certain hunky lion as well). I am really enjoying this which is shocking me...maybe I am just thinking of Jamie while reading though...LOL. I am only about 30% in though.
Back to top Go down
Doppleganger
Admin
Doppleganger

PostSubject: Re: Name your Literary Poison ....   Name your Literary Poison .... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 07, 2011 9:32 am

It's good to get out of our genre-ruts every now and then uap! I'm not a contemporary romance fan but I picked up a Kindle freebie and found it to be a guilty pleasure too. I don't think it's free anymore, but Compromising Positions by Jenna Bayley-Burke was a fun read.

Thanks fae! I like science fiction almost as much as I love paranormal books. I added Grimspace to my tbr queue. At the moment, I'm sticking with more lighthearted reads, but Grimspace does look interesting.
Back to top Go down
FaeLadyFaye
FaeLadyFaye

PostSubject: Re: Name your Literary Poison ....   Name your Literary Poison .... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 07, 2011 9:36 am

Ann Aguirre also writes a really good UF series. The heroine of which is Corinne Solomon. The third in that series is set to be released in April. The first book is Blue Diablo.
Back to top Go down
uapeople

uapeople

PostSubject: Re: Name your Literary Poison ....   Name your Literary Poison .... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 07, 2011 9:53 am

Someone from the CH board once recommended Elisa Lorello's Ordinary World and it's sequel Faking it. The were contemporary fiction romance as well. They used to be 99 cents each on Kindle and I had just bought my kindle. I loved them. Especially since I lived where some of the books take place (and so did she) and also I had been in Boston a few times where the other parts of the books take place.
Back to top Go down
b4v

b4v

PostSubject: Re: Name your Literary Poison ....   Name your Literary Poison .... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 08, 2011 3:47 am

Didn't know where to post this, but I've just been reading Faith Hunter's blog, and PURLS was mentioned in her Sharing With Friends blog. Too cool!
http://www.faithhunter.net/wp/

Thanks again to g-p, Swede and the mods for giving us such a great place here, you guys are the :bom:
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Name your Literary Poison ....   Name your Literary Poison .... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 08, 2011 4:07 am

Wow cool smile
Back to top Go down
Dragonlady

Dragonlady

PostSubject: Re: Name your Literary Poison ....   Name your Literary Poison .... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 08, 2011 4:12 am

Ooh thanks for sharing that B4V - Faith is so cool!
Back to top Go down
http://www.wearegoingonawitchhunt.blogspot.com
2shay

PostSubject: Re: Name your Literary Poison ....   Name your Literary Poison .... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 08, 2011 7:34 am

b4v--Thanks for the link. That is always fun. Love Faith. psst....I think she likes us, too.
Back to top Go down
2shay

PostSubject: Re: Name your Literary Poison ....   Name your Literary Poison .... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 08, 2011 12:03 pm

I have seen several mentions of Jake Riordan. Who is that? I am clueless, or my memory sucks.
Back to top Go down
FaeLadyFaye
FaeLadyFaye

PostSubject: Re: Name your Literary Poison ....   Name your Literary Poison .... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 08, 2011 12:13 pm

Jake Riordan is from the Adrien English mysteries. It's an m/m contemporary romance series.
Back to top Go down
2shay

PostSubject: Re: Name your Literary Poison ....   Name your Literary Poison .... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 08, 2011 6:26 pm

Okay, got it. I have read PhyCops, and loved it. I looked into the Adrian English, but only the third book is available on amazon. I didn't want to start in the middle.....and don't want the physical books in the house. Shallow, I know.
Back to top Go down
FaeLadyFaye
FaeLadyFaye

PostSubject: Re: Name your Literary Poison ....   Name your Literary Poison .... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 08, 2011 6:32 pm

It isn't shallow. It was smart of you to research it before you started. I got the first two books in a bundle, then found out B&N didn't sell the other three. By that time I was a bit panicked. Also the paperbacks are crazy expensive for books that just aren't that big.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Name your Literary Poison ....   Name your Literary Poison .... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 08, 2011 7:21 pm

Last edited by SwedeLover on Tue Mar 08, 2011 11:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Name your Literary Poison ....   Name your Literary Poison .... - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Name your Literary Poison ....
Page 2 of 28Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15 ... 28  Next