Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

SearchHomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

IRREGULARS - No Life But This

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
PURLS Reviews

PURLS Reviews

IRREGULARS - No Life But This Empty
PostSubject: IRREGULARS - No Life But This   IRREGULARS - No Life But This Icon_minitimeSun May 13, 2012 3:16 am

IRREGULARS - No Life But This Irregu12
Irregulars
No Life But This by Astrid Amara

Released : March 14, 2012
Reviewed : Faye
Rating : heart heart heart heart heart

Deven Shaw doesn't belong. Despite being human he spent thirteen years off Earth on the Aztaw realm. Unfortunately, as a human, Deven doesn't really belong in Aztaw either. Astrid Amara's “No Life But This” tells of feeling isolated amongst others and, how it's possible to not belong when you are where you are supposed to be. Deven was the son of the Irregular ambassador to Aztaw. When Deven was kidnapped his father made no move to ransom or rescue him. It was for political reasons. After surviving his attempted sacrifice by throat slashing he proved himself worthy to live. Deven was ten years old. Eventually, Deven became the assassin for Lord Jaguar of Aztaw. As a result of more political upheaval Deven is forced to flee Aztaw to save his life and Lord Jaguar's precious House Power. Deven becomes a refugee on his own realm of Earth. His body has adapted to life on Aztaw and is overwhelmed by Earth, also, having spent his formative years as an assassin on a foreign realm hasn't done much for his behavior. Deven is completely at a loss as to what to do with himself and his life. The murder of an Irregular Agent in Mexico City seems to have evidence of Aztawi magic. Deven is hired by NIAD to act as a consultant. The agent in charge of the investigation is Silas August. At first Deven thinks Agent August is so grouchy as it was his partner that was one of the murder victims. As it turns out Agent August is kind of an ass and doesn't really deal well with other people. Agent August has an exhaustive wardrobe and high end technical equipment to help him in any situation. He dislikes working with an assassin. It's not until a danger that shouldn't exist poses a threat to multiple realms that Deven and Agent August learn to work with each other, and what they've come to mean to each other. “No Life But This” draws heavily from Mesoamerican mythologies. There are calendars and feathered serpents as well as some downright creepy creatures. It is also firmly set in a modern metropolis. All this sets a lush and richly detailed background for the story of two wildly different men who find themselves in the same situation. Deven knows magic and the workings of the Aztawi. If a problem shows up Deven's first instinct is to kill it. Agent August knows modern Earth and how to function within a bureaucracy. If a problem shows up his first instinct is to act haughty while well dressed then feed all the information into his computer to see what comes out. Neither man is very smooth at figuring out what to do when they realize how much they are attracted to each other. This story is from Deven's point of view, and he is the most important figure. He finds himself the key player of plots within plots he didn't know existed. Deven is forced to make a choice between Earth and Aztaw and all the allegiances he has there. He is left choosing between a familiar devil and a strange angel. A strange angel who gave him a gift of watermelon.

(Part 3, covering the story by Ginn Hale to follow.)
Back to top Go down
Barbara

Barbara

PostSubject: Re: IRREGULARS - No Life But This   IRREGULARS - No Life But This Icon_minitimeMon May 14, 2012 1:56 am

As always Faye - such a clear, concise, insightful review !! Thanks
Back to top Go down
Doppleganger
Admin
Doppleganger

PostSubject: Re: IRREGULARS - No Life But This   IRREGULARS - No Life But This Icon_minitimeMon May 14, 2012 8:26 am

I really want to buy this now, but it isn't at Amazon. Well the paper version is, but not the kindle version. cussing

If anyone knows where I should go to get the kindle ebook, please post a link. I'm jonsing for this after that review.
Back to top Go down
FaeLadyFaye
FaeLadyFaye

PostSubject: Re: IRREGULARS - No Life But This   IRREGULARS - No Life But This Icon_minitimeMon May 14, 2012 2:39 pm

http://weightlessbooks.com/?s=The+Irregulars

I would recommend reading the stories in order. Whereas they can all be read and understood with no problem as individual stories, or in any order whatsoever there is a slow roll out of characters, events, and plot strings. If you do plan to skip around I would STRONGLY urge you to read Josh Lanyon's story before Ginn Hale's story.
Back to top Go down
Doppleganger
Admin
Doppleganger

PostSubject: Re: IRREGULARS - No Life But This   IRREGULARS - No Life But This Icon_minitimeMon May 14, 2012 8:38 pm

Thanks! I'm jonesing more for No Life But This, but I'll be a good little reader and go in order. Probably.

Am I the only one that is totally creeped out by the guy on the cover?
Back to top Go down
FaeLadyFaye
FaeLadyFaye

PostSubject: Re: IRREGULARS - No Life But This   IRREGULARS - No Life But This Icon_minitimeMon May 14, 2012 9:14 pm

He's like a disturbing glowing eyed Sherlock Holmes.
Back to top Go down
FaeLadyFaye
FaeLadyFaye

PostSubject: Re: IRREGULARS - No Life But This   IRREGULARS - No Life But This Icon_minitimeMon May 14, 2012 9:16 pm

Also the first two stories are much shorter than the second two. You could read "Cherries Worth Getting" and "Green Glass Beads" this week then read "No Life But This" on the weekend.
Back to top Go down
Barbara

Barbara

PostSubject: Re: IRREGULARS - No Life But This   IRREGULARS - No Life But This Icon_minitimeTue May 15, 2012 4:02 am

I like the guy on the cover. Love his strong profile. I like a big nose, and I cannot lie smile
Back to top Go down
FaeLadyFaye
FaeLadyFaye

PostSubject: Re: IRREGULARS - No Life But This   IRREGULARS - No Life But This Icon_minitimeTue May 15, 2012 8:07 am

I think the guy on the cover is Henry.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: IRREGULARS - No Life But This   IRREGULARS - No Life But This Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

IRREGULARS - No Life But This
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: PURLS Reviews-
Jump to: