Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

SearchHomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Name your Literary Poison ....

Go down 
+9
ferdy
calimama
Starbrites
uapeople
showmethelove
sabby
2shay
Doppleganger
gracious-plenty
13 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
Doppleganger
Admin
Doppleganger

Name your Literary Poison .... - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Name your Literary Poison ....   Name your Literary Poison .... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 29, 2012 7:19 pm

Catching up! LOL That's impossible, even without -------> baby

Just think of it as being fully prepared with various options whenever you are able to begin a new reading endeavor. You're like a literary girl scout.

Now I want cookies.
Back to top Go down
calimama

calimama

PostSubject: Re: Name your Literary Poison ....   Name your Literary Poison .... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 05, 2012 1:23 am

Hey 2shay, I picked up Pamela Clare's book Sweet Release on your recommendation and now I've finished Carnal Gift as well. I enjoyed them both and I'll definitely pick up the next one. Thank you. I think I may have liked Carnal Gift more than Sweet Release. How about you?
Back to top Go down
uapeople

uapeople

PostSubject: Re: Name your Literary Poison ....   Name your Literary Poison .... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 05, 2012 11:41 am

I started Pamela Clare's 1st Scottish one...forget the name last night. So far so good. Have to do my historical research and figure out who is a real historical person and who is made up. I know many Cameron's supported the English crown so it makes sense the heroine would be on the Britt side.
Back to top Go down
gracious-plenty
Admin
gracious-plenty

PostSubject: Re: Name your Literary Poison ....   Name your Literary Poison .... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 06, 2012 4:00 pm

I might be going back to my roots of HR. I've really missed this genre Sad
Now what to cach up on first writing
Back to top Go down
http://nikkisrandommusings.blogspot.com/
gracious-plenty
Admin
gracious-plenty

PostSubject: Re: Name your Literary Poison ....   Name your Literary Poison .... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 10, 2012 10:02 am

Ok so I totally F'd up. I started the Hunger Games. I only got into about 15 % and Sunday my mom offered to watch our baby so that we could go to a movie. Naturally the Chipster chose The Hunger Games to see so I went along with it becasue I wanted to eventually see it. I really enjoyed the movie but now and struggling to get back into reading the book.
I hate that . tantrum
Back to top Go down
2shay

PostSubject: Re: Name your Literary Poison ....   Name your Literary Poison .... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 10, 2012 1:00 pm

I am so into historical romance that I can't seem to stop. All of Pamela Clare's are good. Hey...gp? I am reading Jennifer Ashley's Pirate Next Door the first book in her Regency Pirates series. It was a slow start. This was her very first book. I wasn't sure I was going to like it. I thought for a while that I needed to be throwing popcorn. But, hey, it picked up pretty quickly and at about 80%, I am hooked! I am sure that I will have to read the rest of the series and I have no idea how many books there are. GP--I know you love the pirate tales.
Back to top Go down
gracious-plenty
Admin
gracious-plenty

PostSubject: Re: Name your Literary Poison ....   Name your Literary Poison .... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 10, 2012 1:05 pm

I am a pirate SLUT!!!!!! roflmao
This is my passion in writing..The the history of it all. I'm excited to see you into the HR again. I truely have missed it a lot. I'm gonna have to check out this series. Wink
Back to top Go down
2shay

PostSubject: Re: Name your Literary Poison ....   Name your Literary Poison .... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 10, 2012 4:38 pm

The one I just finished is the only one ready. She is redoing them all for kindle. The next one will be ready sometime in May. As far as I can tell there are three, but it seems like she might be planning more. I discovered that Jennifer Ashley has a couple of AKAs. Jennifer Garner or Gardner..? and Allyson James. I think the Allyson James aka is the one she uses for her more intense erotica. Just bought Howlin'. A shifter...wolves, I think...book that I think is going to be a menage...m/f/m.
Back to top Go down
gracious-plenty
Admin
gracious-plenty

PostSubject: Re: Name your Literary Poison ....   Name your Literary Poison .... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 12, 2012 6:20 am

I am super excited to see one of my fav HR writer's, Marsha Canhem has more books out. She pretty much writes pirate themed novels excited Doppleganger
Back to top Go down
uapeople

uapeople

PostSubject: Re: Name your Literary Poison ....   Name your Literary Poison .... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 12, 2012 7:42 am

I like Terri Brisbin a lot for Highlander stuff, but she also wrote many historical romances. Terry Spear is good as well for Highlander and historical romance and she also has a wolf series which I haven't read. Oh and I just looked on her site and she has vampire romances as well. Anyway I read so many, I believe those were some that floated to the top but NOT as shit.
Back to top Go down
2shay

PostSubject: Re: Name your Literary Poison ....   Name your Literary Poison .... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 12, 2012 8:09 am

star Bared To You: A Crossfire Novel by Sylvia Day

I didn't know quite what to do with this book, so I am just posting it here. I picked up this recommendation on Pamela Clare's page. It has been compared to Fifty Shades of Grey. Since I haven't read that, I thought I would give this one a try. The Amazon reviews were really good. So...what have we got? I started this book yesterday morning and read at every possible break, then I got up at 4:30 am to finish. I was completely blown away. Two beautiful people. Beautiful people with a lot of money. Both sexually active and sexually agressive. And both with deep seated issues from their past. Eva and Gideon. Gideon Cross is described as being so gorgeous that it hurts to look at him. He is also one of the top twent-five wealthiest men in the world. 28 years old and the head of one of the largest mega-companies in the world. He has a past with beautiful women. Tall, sinowy brunettes. So, how does a short, curvy, beautiful blond with self-esteem issues get and keep his attention? Especially when she doesn't even want to?

If you pick up this book expecting to find some crazy adventure involving killers or drug cartels or mad scientists you will be disappointed. This is about Eva and Gideon's struggles to connect on an emotional level when both have been deeply traumatised in their pasts. Ya'll......this is the most intensly sensual book I have ever read. Lots and lots of sex. Sylvia Day writes the most erotic sex I have ever imagined. There is just the beginning of a little dom/sub action between Eva and Gideon. No whips and chains or anything like that. Just talking to each other and giving up control. It is just heart wrenchingly beautiful. The book ends on a sort of "happy for now" note, with them both working on their issues and trying to work on an actual relationship which neither has ever had or ever wanted. The second book, Deeper In You, hasn't been released yet. But this book was so good that I didn't mind that their story goes on. I may read this many times before the next book.

The secondary characters are also very good. Eva's best friend and roommate, Cary, is a male model who follows Eva to New York when she moves to take a new job. They met in group therapy and have been best friends ever since. He is openly bi-sexual and supplies a whole load of side issues. He has enough page time that learning more about him is high on my want list.

If you don't think you can read a book that is primarily about an intense sexual relationship. A book that has more sex than any book I have ever read and finished, this one might not be for you. If you can? What a beautiful ride. heart heart heart heart heart

I have just downloaded Fifty Shades Of Grey.
Back to top Go down
Doppleganger
Admin
Doppleganger

PostSubject: Re: Name your Literary Poison ....   Name your Literary Poison .... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 12, 2012 9:05 am

I can't be expected to resist that.
Funny, I'm not terribly interested in Fifty Shades. Probably because of the BDSM stuff.....not my thing. But the herd mentality reader in me is itching to pick it up anyway!

"floated to the top but not as shit!" Lolol! roflmao
Back to top Go down
2shay

PostSubject: Re: Name your Literary Poison ....   Name your Literary Poison .... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 12, 2012 1:27 pm

Dopple.....Not before Dark Horse! This book has it's own alure, but Dark Horse is a total.....STORY!

I started Fifty Shades Of Grey. Bared To You was reported to have BDSM. If that is BDSM, I'm a prima ballerina.
Back to top Go down
uapeople

uapeople

PostSubject: Re: Name your Literary Poison ....   Name your Literary Poison .... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 12, 2012 2:26 pm

Huh and I was just gonna start reading that funny book you nominated for book club. Maybe I shouldn't read that as I will be on the train/subway/walking/at Snow Patrol concert and possibly Coyote Ugly bar after... and who knows who will be reading over my shoulder...plus I may turn shades of red and pink while reading in public.
Back to top Go down
Starbrites

Starbrites

PostSubject: Re: Name your Literary Poison ....   Name your Literary Poison .... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 12, 2012 3:52 pm

There has been alot of talk about Fifty Shades of Grey and I have to admit that I have no idea what it is or what it is about so Shay you have to fill me in a little bit about this book your reading. It seems like everyone is talking about it.
Back to top Go down
sabby

sabby

PostSubject: Re: Name your Literary Poison ....   Name your Literary Poison .... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 13, 2012 12:22 am

I'm definitely curious about 50 shades; I'm planning on reading it in the next couple of weeks. Autumn just finished the whole trilogy I think in less than a week and really enjoyed it. So I say get it on!!!! whipping flirty
Back to top Go down
uapeople

uapeople

PostSubject: Re: Name your Literary Poison ....   Name your Literary Poison .... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 13, 2012 7:53 am

Well if my twin enjoyed it I know I will.
Back to top Go down
Starbrites

Starbrites

PostSubject: Re: Name your Literary Poison ....   Name your Literary Poison .... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 13, 2012 1:24 pm

HOLY SHIT there is 119 holds on Fifty Shades of Grey at the library! Guess I wont be getting it from there.
Back to top Go down
2shay

PostSubject: Re: Name your Literary Poison ....   Name your Literary Poison .... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 13, 2012 2:34 pm

star Fifty Shades Of Grey star

Especially for Dopple......just read Bared To You......

To everyone else.......

This really is BDSM. It is, maybe, the most disturbing book I have ever read. I stopped reading a couple of times and started back. It is just so damn compelling! This is NOT anything at all like the m/m BDSM book that freaked me out so badly with the very public displays. This is all done very privately, so, from that standpoint it isn't quite as awful. But, the male lead is a true DOM with a deep seated need to have a full time sub at his beck and call. And he needs....really needs to be able to hurt them during "punishments". The female lead, Ana, is a total innocent who meets Christian Grey pretty much by accident. She is a virgin at 21 and about to graduate from college. Christian Grey is insanely wealthy, beautiful and compelling. His only defense is that, while thinking Ana was inexperienced, he didn't have a clue she was a virgin. Ana is completely overwhelmed by this glorious man and it is not that hard for him to convince her to "try" to become his sub. He has contracts and shit. Non-discclosure agreements.

I don't want to say too much. I absolutely WILL NOT recommed this book to anyone. It is far too disturbing. Reading this has to be a personal choice. I will say that at the end of Fifty Shade Of Grey I bawled my eyes out. Reminds me of the cry-fest I had during Dark Horse. And I will read the next book. (Almost have to. There is a major cliff-hanger at the end of this one. Another thing to be wary of.) So, readers choice. To read or not to read.

You all might have noticed that I didn't have one of my freak-outs where I want to arrest or shoot all the main characters. Thay might give you a clue.

Oh, one more thing. They are more like big grins instead of laughs, but there is some really quirky humor. Both main characters are really smart.
Back to top Go down
2shay

PostSubject: Re: Name your Literary Poison ....   Name your Literary Poison .... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 13, 2012 2:44 pm

I found this quote on an Amazon review of Fifty Shades Darker, book 2. It fits the first book perfectly, so I thought I would share this. One of those things I wish I had said.

I really wish I could manually add a 6th star to Amazon for this book. I never would have believed it was possible but Fifty Shades Darker is even better than Fifty Shades of Grey. Hard to believe, but true. Reading this book reminded me of a quote that I love by Alan Cohen, "Scared and sacred are spelled with the same letters. Awful proceeds from the same root word as awesome. Terrify and terrific. Every negative experience holds the seed of transformation." Reading Fifty Shades Darker is like witnessing metamorphosis in action.
Back to top Go down
ferdy

PostSubject: Re: Name your Literary Poison ....   Name your Literary Poison .... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 13, 2012 2:51 pm

star Fifty Shades star

I tried to get into Fifty Shades of Gret but I found it a little disturbing.. It would have been ok if Ana wasn't scared and in fear of Christian hurting her..I didn't like that AT ALL..it just seemed unhealthy that Ana would allow herself to be hurt just to please Christian rather than because she actually enjoyed being submissive.
I read Bared to You and Gideon did remind me of Christian but not nearly as effed up. Eva and Gideon had a more balance relationship than Christian/Ana..Bared to You was streets ahead of 50 Shades. I wouldn't recommed 50 Shades to anyone.
Back to top Go down
showmethelove
showmethelove

PostSubject: Re: Name your Literary Poison ....   Name your Literary Poison .... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 13, 2012 5:13 pm

Now I don't know if I want to read it or not. Stop confusing me! cussing
Back to top Go down
2shay

PostSubject: Re: Name your Literary Poison ....   Name your Literary Poison .... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 14, 2012 7:42 am

ferdy---Good points. Exactly right. I said in an earlier post that I would not recommend Fifty Shades to anyone. Ana is so inexperienced and so totally overwhelmed by such a dynamic personality. I found it a very difficult read. But, I am not going to sit here and lie about it. Most of you know by now that I am quite capable of having a screaming shit fit if a book skeeves me out. Ultimately, I can't say I actually "enjoyed" Fifty Shades. Wrong word. I found it compelling. I think by the time I had finished, I had just fallen totally in love with Ana. She has a brand of strength that I don't think I have seen any place else. I have started the second book, Fifty Shades Darker, and in this book, I am finding myself falling in love with Christian. He is so damn messed up and is trying so hard. It is a difficult journey. I can only say......readers choice. I can almost guarantee that not everyone who starts this book will finish. Ain't that gonna be different, Ladies? Me being the only one who can get through a tough read about a seriously alternative lifestyle? A lot of you won't like this book. I know ya'll, too.

showme, you Fae and Swede might actually do okay with this. Well, maybe not Swede. Girl bits!
Back to top Go down
Barbara

Barbara

PostSubject: Re: Name your Literary Poison ....   Name your Literary Poison .... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 14, 2012 8:00 am

Waugh!!!!! But I did like Tohr and Autumn soooooo maybe a turning point Wink but for some reason I prefer my D/s to be m/m .... Who knows if I will ever read these no idea
Back to top Go down
2shay

PostSubject: Re: Name your Literary Poison ....   Name your Literary Poison .... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 14, 2012 9:52 am

Just for Swede---You might be surprised. It isn't just the D part that is fascinating in this book. It is the way Christian goes about it. He's very rich and prominent and has to protect himself. He only keeps his subs for a short period of time, and he controls them completly while he has them. Ana is not that easy to control. He thinks she will make his perfect sub when in fact she doesn't have a submissive bone in her body. Her virginal, untouched body. Before Christian.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Name your Literary Poison ....   Name your Literary Poison .... - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Name your Literary Poison ....
Page 2 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next