Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

SearchHomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Shifters

Go down 
+7
showmethelove
b4v
FaeLadyFaye
2shay
uapeople
Dragonlady
kimba
11 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
2shay

Shifters - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shifters   Shifters - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 09, 2011 9:55 am

showme...! LOL.....RV has a beautiful way of over dramatizing those hateful attitudes that make us cringe....The way some of the characters talk about "strays"....insert any swear words here that feel appropriate! The whole "captive uterus".....insert more swear words here! RV has drawn a great world where all those awful prejudices can be examined and rejected. Some attitudes just suck. She is addressing several of them. Great, great writer.
Back to top Go down
FaeLadyFaye
FaeLadyFaye

Shifters - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shifters   Shifters - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 09, 2011 11:00 am

I think you described Faythe quite well, 2shay. In my own particular brand of blunt I simply call Faythe immature. She is so wrapped up in herself she doesn't take the time to SEE what the people around her are.
Back to top Go down
2shay

Shifters - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shifters   Shifters - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 09, 2011 1:31 pm

Pride is upsetting me. This book is a social statement. A powerful social statement. How many women were actually kicked out of their homes, PUNISHED by their husbands for marching in parades to give women the vote? How many people are socially ostracised today for supporting gay rights? How many people have suffered because they supported the rights of minorities? People suffer when other people STAND UP. Homes are broken. Lives are changed. Laws and social lethargy are challenged. Faythe may not know what she's doing. It's just personal for her, and it's hurting her and the people around her. It would just be so easy if she had just married Marc 5 years ago instead of making the simple choice of going to school. Education for a shifter tabby was of no importance. Her culture only needed her to marry and have more shifter babies. OMG! I have older Catholic women friends who weren't allowed to go to school past the day they could be taken out without legal consequences to their families!! There are young Minonite women in our community today who can barely read and write. Women have had to fight a lot of battles for the rights we have today. Faythe's story is highlighting that fight. Even the right to decide when to have children has been fought for and is still ongoing. Rachel Vincent is amazing....sigh....

ETA: what is really eye opening in this story is how badly the MEN, the good men, the caring men suffer, too. Their lives are turned upside down, too.
Back to top Go down
2shay

Shifters - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shifters   Shifters - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 09, 2011 7:16 pm

OMG!!! Finished Pride! The name of the book says it all...! I feel like breaking out the signs and posters! Equality For Strays! Equality For Tabbies! Equal Justice For All!

I am reliving the excitement and frustration of the 60 's! And the ongoing battle for gay rights! There is always.....THE FIGHT!

We don't all get a grizzly to fight on our side, though! Lol
Back to top Go down
b4v

b4v

Shifters - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shifters   Shifters - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 09, 2011 8:23 pm

Shay, it's the correlation with real social injustices that makes me have so much sympathy for Faythe and the other tabbies, along with the toms and strays willing to fight for change.
Back to top Go down
2shay

Shifters - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shifters   Shifters - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 09, 2011 8:55 pm

Bingo! B4V, this story resonates for me. Beautifully done!
Back to top Go down
sabby

sabby

Shifters - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shifters   Shifters - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 09, 2011 11:04 pm

OMG 2Shay, i mean wow i def love this series absolutely found the world riveting!!! But with your summaries im finding it hard not to be drawn back in Right NOW!!!! I def also felt very passionate about the parallels of the plights for the tabbies and of course the strays, which hit home for me as immigration rights!!! Hhhhmmmmm im going to def have to find the time for a reread........ if only i can get past the fact that the series is over, when it still had so much to grow. very sad Mad
Back to top Go down
b4v

b4v

Shifters - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shifters   Shifters - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 10, 2011 6:05 am

There's a short with Abby as the MC in the Chicks Kick Butt anthology. It was really nice getting another glimpse into that world, especially as it's set after the series ended
Back to top Go down
2shay

Shifters - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shifters   Shifters - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 10, 2011 7:50 am

B4V...Would you remind me of that as I get toward the end? I'm on Prey. They are currently holding Manx "hostage" to her reproductive capability! Assholes! The woman was raped repeatedly and her children stolen and killed! It is going to take a hell of a man to ever get near her again...voluntarily. She may have to "submit" **choking on that word** just to save her life so she can raise her son. Does anyone see a little Margaret Atwood here? Hmmmm
Back to top Go down
2shay

Shifters - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shifters   Shifters - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 10, 2011 7:55 am

yes master *insert---Free Manx---Tabby Power---Equal Justice---Equality For Strays---

I can't believe how much this series is stirring up my desire to say "let's march" !!
Back to top Go down
gracious-plenty
Admin
gracious-plenty

Shifters - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shifters   Shifters - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 10, 2011 8:21 am

Doesn't it though!!!!!
I love Manx. She was a character that touched my heart. hugs

I'd march with ya Shay Laughing
Back to top Go down
http://nikkisrandommusings.blogspot.com/
2shay

Shifters - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shifters   Shifters - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 10, 2011 6:01 pm

star Spoiler star

Cancel the march, gp. My heart's broken....Ethan .....
Back to top Go down
gracious-plenty
Admin
gracious-plenty

Shifters - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shifters   Shifters - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 10, 2011 6:46 pm

Oh damn. You got to that part very sad

Come're hugs
Back to top Go down
showmethelove
showmethelove

Shifters - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shifters   Shifters - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 10, 2011 6:49 pm

Well shit!!! Seriously I have to stay away very sad
Back to top Go down
2shay

Shifters - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shifters   Shifters - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 10, 2011 8:25 pm

star Spoiler star

very sad Marc....Marc....Alone. Hurt. Cold. Betrayed.

(Yes. I understand what happened. I understand why. I love all the characters. heart )

(((Now you all know what I really think. sigh And, you all know that I will never say what I really think again.)))
Back to top Go down
showmethelove
showmethelove

Shifters - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shifters   Shifters - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 10, 2011 8:38 pm

Damn you Shay! very sad
Back to top Go down
sabby

sabby

Shifters - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shifters   Shifters - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 10, 2011 11:04 pm

Omg, that part with Ethan just absolutely crushed me!!!!! very sad Sad i love him so!!!
Back to top Go down
b4v

b4v

Shifters - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shifters   Shifters - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 11, 2011 3:22 am

I bawled very sad Ethan was truly lovely
Back to top Go down
2shay

Shifters - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shifters   Shifters - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 11, 2011 8:22 am

star Spoiler star

I did my normal pacing and hand ringing. OMG...losing Ethan was awful...still very sad just weepy.

I finished. At least they got Marc back. Just downloaded Shift. Man...the amazon reviews for this book are bad. Lots of 2 stars and a couple of 1 star. They said the book is just boring, or Faythe is boring...or the repeat, repeat, repeat of her "value" as a tabby or her desire to be a great enforcer just get old. I will see what I think. I think a lot of readers just never really understood Faythe's total commitment to changing the system. Makes people get weird.
Back to top Go down
2shay

Shifters - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shifters   Shifters - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 11, 2011 4:23 pm

star Spoiler star

Shift---not feeling the thunderbird plot line.
Back to top Go down
2shay

Shifters - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shifters   Shifters - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 11, 2011 6:08 pm

star Spoiler star

I wish I had gotten you guys to tell me what happened in this book. Sheesh,,,it's like reading Phury's book. Just kill me now. The thunderbird plot line ..... Nooooo. Fayte...please, please just tell Marc you screwed around with Jace....the NON drama is getting painful...I know this is some sort of set up for the final book and I have to get through it. sigh
Back to top Go down
sabby

sabby

Shifters - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shifters   Shifters - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 11, 2011 7:35 pm

Yeah i absolutely hated the thunderbirds!!!! Just not very plausible, i mean giant man birds flying around unseen........ really?? Oh well they cant all be gems, hang in there it gets back on track. no idea
Back to top Go down
showmethelove
showmethelove

Shifters - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shifters   Shifters - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 11, 2011 8:19 pm

I thought there were just so many other things going on, the thunderbirds weren't really needed. I just wanted some of the other shit settled.

Last edited by showmethelove on Thu Aug 11, 2011 8:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
2shay

Shifters - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shifters   Shifters - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 11, 2011 8:29 pm

Yeah...sigh....struggling.....easily distracted....watching football.....switching over to Big Brother......skipping pages.......sigh....
Back to top Go down
gracious-plenty
Admin
gracious-plenty

Shifters - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shifters   Shifters - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 11, 2011 8:48 pm

Love big brother!!!!!!
It's good tonight too
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Shifters - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shifters   Shifters - Page 3 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Shifters
Page 3 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next