Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

SearchHomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Discovery of Witches - PBC#2

Go down 
+8
Greencat
caligrl
sabby
FaeLadyFaye
Doppleganger
uapeople
2shay
Barbara
12 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
AuthorMessage
Doppleganger
Admin
Doppleganger

Discovery of Witches - PBC#2 - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Discovery of Witches - PBC#2   Discovery of Witches - PBC#2 - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSat Feb 18, 2012 6:06 pm

Ack, all those secrets! I agree completely. I like Matthew, but I don't trust him at all. I'm still not convinced that Diana's sleepiness wasn't his doing. I know he admitted to 'drugging' her twice - once when he broke into her flat and again on the plane. I suspect, however, that it was more of an ongoing thing. Either that, or Marthe was putting some sleepytime herb in Diana's tea.

Boinkaholic! roflmao We likes our smexy. Discovery of Witches - PBC#2 - Page 5 4144435822

I did think the idea of being married but still waiting to have sex was a bit juvenile. I mean, waiting because they "have plenty of time" is ridiculous considering how many creatures are trying to kill or separate them. I wanted to smack Matthew when he used that excuse. If I were Diana I'd ask him to man up and prove he doesn't have ED! I agree with you sabby, that if they hadn't declared themselves married then I could have put up with it because they haven't known each other very long. But marriage=boinking. Sorry. It does. Even for old-fashioned guys like Matthew...perhaps especially for old-fashioned guys like Matthew.
It's gotta be a plot device to set up Book 2, hopefully in a way that's not too Breaking Dawnish.
Back to top Go down
FaeLadyFaye
FaeLadyFaye

PostSubject: Re: Discovery of Witches - PBC#2   Discovery of Witches - PBC#2 - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSat Feb 18, 2012 6:10 pm

Man, why you gotta bring Breaking Dawn into this. I'm all happy, chatting about books and you are harshing my mellow. Bleh.

I think it's a plot device of some kind. Nothing else really makes sense. Will she have her baby in the past, without the miracle of modern medicine?! They would never go into the past if they knew she was pregnant.
Back to top Go down
Doppleganger
Admin
Doppleganger

PostSubject: Re: Discovery of Witches - PBC#2   Discovery of Witches - PBC#2 - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSat Feb 18, 2012 6:24 pm

Discovery of Witches - PBC#2 - Page 5 277638789 Am I taxing your gig hard core, cruster?

Sorry, "harshing my mellow" made me think of Pauly Shore.

Even though it annoyed me, I am curious to see where Harkness is going with that. I think you're right, he wouldn't take her in to the past if she were already pregnant.

Now...do you think he has super vampire sperm that will impregnate her right away? (Sorry, that's going back to Breaking Dawn. I'll stop.)

Wheez the juice!!
Back to top Go down
FaeLadyFaye
FaeLadyFaye

PostSubject: Re: Discovery of Witches - PBC#2   Discovery of Witches - PBC#2 - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSat Feb 18, 2012 6:35 pm

Is he some kind of creepy virgin who's been scamming on HS girls so he can use his super sperm?
Back to top Go down
Doppleganger
Admin
Doppleganger

PostSubject: Re: Discovery of Witches - PBC#2   Discovery of Witches - PBC#2 - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSat Feb 18, 2012 6:43 pm

Pauly Shore? Possibly.
Back to top Go down
FaeLadyFaye
FaeLadyFaye

PostSubject: Re: Discovery of Witches - PBC#2   Discovery of Witches - PBC#2 - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSat Feb 18, 2012 6:47 pm

Yeah. *shudders*
Back to top Go down
2shay

PostSubject: Re: Discovery of Witches - PBC#2   Discovery of Witches - PBC#2 - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSat Feb 18, 2012 7:40 pm

Plot devise. Pregnant in the past. I am buying all that.
Back to top Go down
uapeople

uapeople

PostSubject: Re: Discovery of Witches - PBC#2   Discovery of Witches - PBC#2 - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 19, 2012 6:02 pm

I am only about halfway. I have a few issues, but not bad. Not bad at all. Would like some hard and heavy though. Not reading anyone's comments until i get further in.
Back to top Go down
sabby

sabby

PostSubject: Re: Discovery of Witches - PBC#2   Discovery of Witches - PBC#2 - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 19, 2012 8:37 pm

Laughing roflmao LMAO Dopple, OMG I can totally picture Pauly Shore now!!!

Now see that would have been a decent justification for waiting; all those discussions of prophecies and what not. I'd be scared to try anything at that point, that might mess with my smexy boinkability mojo!?!?! :flasher: Because yeah if I thought the reasons were valid then I wouldn't have as many issues about waiting.... well not really flirty . I wonder if his former self is more aggressive in that respect?? Or in what respect did Hamish believe Diana might need to call for help (if she was able)? poke
Back to top Go down
uapeople

uapeople

PostSubject: Re: Discovery of Witches - PBC#2   Discovery of Witches - PBC#2 - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 19, 2012 9:48 pm

I hate to say this but sometimes as I am reading and her thoughts are dictated to me and she does bold stupid things and the non sex I think I am reading a new installment of twilight with some real history and bigger words thrown in. Dont get me wrong I am reading all day wondering what is gonna happen but I can't drop that analogy in my brain. I do wonder if he tried to commit suicide or not. It's just like all this stuff leads up to things and then that thread of plot is dropped like a hot potato and you don't think about it until she starts thinking it out for you. This explains to me why this book is so popular. Not having to pay attention to interwoven plot is addictive and mindless and sometimes as a reader u need that.
Back to top Go down
FaeLadyFaye
FaeLadyFaye

PostSubject: Re: Discovery of Witches - PBC#2   Discovery of Witches - PBC#2 - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 20, 2012 9:21 am

I think I'm lucky I haven't read the Twilight books.

I completely agree with you, uapeople. It's wonderful to read a book that seems complex but does all the thinking for you. It's like a nifty cognitive vacation.
Back to top Go down
Doppleganger
Admin
Doppleganger

PostSubject: Re: Discovery of Witches - PBC#2   Discovery of Witches - PBC#2 - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 20, 2012 11:59 am

I had a lot of Twilight flashbacks while reading ADOW too. Mostly little details that were similar, but you're right. ADOW is rich with facts and historically accurate details, but you don't have.to think through the plot too much.
Back to top Go down
uapeople

uapeople

PostSubject: Re: Discovery of Witches - PBC#2   Discovery of Witches - PBC#2 - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 20, 2012 12:17 pm

WOW, I am glad that it wasn't just me!
Back to top Go down
Greencat

Greencat

PostSubject: Re: Discovery of Witches - PBC#2   Discovery of Witches - PBC#2 - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 20, 2012 1:51 pm

I'm now at about 25% and still not feeling it. And twilight never did it for me either so it maybe the similarities that I'm struggling with. I don't hate this story but so far it hasn't really hooked me. I'll keep going maybe I'll get more into it as it goes along.
Back to top Go down
Doppleganger
Admin
Doppleganger

PostSubject: Re: Discovery of Witches - PBC#2   Discovery of Witches - PBC#2 - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 20, 2012 7:43 pm

Well that sucks GC. I hate it when a book just doesn't 'click'. Sad
Back to top Go down
2shay

PostSubject: Re: Discovery of Witches - PBC#2   Discovery of Witches - PBC#2 - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 21, 2012 7:26 am

And, GC, if you aren't into it? Drop it. There is no rule that you must read the club selections. I almost didn't do this one but am really glad I did.

ETA: I HATED Twilight! I loved this book. I see the similarities, but they didn't matter much to me. Twilight just seemed to have been written for fairly bright 15 year olds. Even without the boinking, this book is much more sophisticated. Twilight has put me totally off of YA. Ugh.....
Back to top Go down
uapeople

uapeople

PostSubject: Re: Discovery of Witches - PBC#2   Discovery of Witches - PBC#2 - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 21, 2012 9:47 am

Finished. I am invested but I feel like I am more like addicted like I am with LKH though the story is not so great and boring at times, I do want to find out the secrets Matthew is hiding and how everything will pan out. Unfortunately with the time they are going to, the storyline and time travel and the people I feel like next one will be a back copycat of Karen Chance's Cassie series. Hopefully I will be happily surprised, but I don't have high hopes, but I will read it. Like I said it is an addiction like Anita Blake. I don't want to but I must. It's bad for me but I am drawn like a moth to a flame.
Back to top Go down
uapeople

uapeople

PostSubject: Re: Discovery of Witches - PBC#2   Discovery of Witches - PBC#2 - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 21, 2012 10:10 am

I am reading back on other people's posts and died laughing when I saw a few pages back starbrites saying it was Twilighty. weird that we would both get that same exact feeling. As for the tea....it will factor in the past I am sure... I think that she learned how to make it so when the do boink probably in the past. When she said something along the lines of "why not just mix it all together and then put those in bags instead of doing each tea bag one by one" that will be her undoing. I also want to know where the past Matthew and Diana were when they traveled back to France and the night they danced? Did their past selves get replaced with their new selves? I think the fact that Matt gave up the coffin necklace and the house burned it means that he won't need it any more. I also wonder with the lavender references if she will meet her dad in the past on one of his time travels. If Matthew appears 2x in the past will the past Matthew boink Diana and knock her up? Or take her forcibly and bite her or something? Will she boink the wrong Matthew not knowing? Will the newer Matthew try to kill the past Matthew thus eliminating himself? Is the past Matthew going to kill the new one and she stays with the old one in the past until she dies? I loved the two gay couples as well 2shay. I agree it is the secondary characters that lighten it or else it would be broody vampire s insecure witch the entire books without relief. No one needs more of Edward and Bella aguing...oops I mean Matthew and Diana. As for Matthew not having sex, if it was 40 days or so and and I kept getting turned down for intercourse after I was married, there would be lots of feelings of insecurity, that he didn't want me or to consummate the marriage. There would have been a strain on the relationship. Also she promises the daemons that she will include them and she never does. Then there was that Yoga class that is mixed. Why hasn't the instructor been told and involved in the war and the people from the class? They are missing the big picture. Dummies. Oh and the no boinking thing in modern time with condoms and birth control pills etc and then going to the past with lamb skin and herbs and without doing it is going to get them into a situation where they can wait no longer and where is it more dangerous to be pregnant and there are very little methods of birth control other than abstinence. I agree dopple...if they weren't married I wouldn't feel this way but marriage does = boinking. If this were an immigrant, they would have been deported already from a false marriage.

Last edited by uapeople on Tue Feb 21, 2012 12:31 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : typos and clarity)
Back to top Go down
Greencat

Greencat

PostSubject: Re: Discovery of Witches - PBC#2   Discovery of Witches - PBC#2 - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 21, 2012 12:46 pm

I got to 27% and I have had to step back, I will go back to this. I hate not finishing a book so I will eventually finish it I think. Too me there is nothing new, plot is same ole same ole, and action packed it is not. Basically it is boring me to tears. Rolling Eyes Was only a matter of time before I came across a book I wasn't fond of, it is rare but hey obviously happens.
Back to top Go down
amckuen

amckuen

PostSubject: Re: Discovery of Witches - PBC#2   Discovery of Witches - PBC#2 - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 03, 2012 9:09 am

I finally finished it took me a month to get through the first 25% of the book and I finished the rest yesterday. Once I got over the first bit I couldn't put it down. I agree with you guys on Matthew keeping secrets but I think going back in time will help Diana to get a better understanding of him and some of the things that made him the way he is. I was disappointed in the no boinking also but someone mentioned that they wouldn't have went back in time if she was pregnant and I think that was part of it. I do think that he had really sorry excuses for not doing it. I can't wait to see what diana will be able to do once she discovers her full potential in magic, and yes can they do it already stop teasing us. So glad that I stuck it out I was so close to calling it quits!!!
Back to top Go down
2shay

PostSubject: Re: Discovery of Witches - PBC#2   Discovery of Witches - PBC#2 - Page 5 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 08, 2012 2:56 pm

amckuen---Glad you finished. I think most of us had similar experiences. The first 25% or so was pretty blah. And I don't usually like the witchy tales too much. There have been a few exceptions, though. This was one, but it took me a while to get into it.

So many possible ways this might go.
Back to top Go down
DEW

DEW

PostSubject: Re: Discovery of Witches - PBC#2   Discovery of Witches - PBC#2 - Page 5 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 19, 2012 4:48 pm

Okay... so I FINALLY got around to reading this one. I'm only a couple months behind. I still have 5 chapters to go. I will have to come back and read through the comments tomorrow or saturday. I am very curious about the Diana Gabaldon comments. I'll have to see if I can find them when I finish.

I will say this ---- I am enjoying this book FAR MORE than I thought I would. I don't know if my expectations were so low because of comments I had heard from others. I feel the writing is solid and I am finding the premise & many of the ideas in this book interesting. The biggest complaint I had heard was how mind-numbingly slow the book is, but I'm not really finding that to be true... well, not exactly. It reads a bit like a somewhat modern victorian novel if that makes sense... which probably doesn't. So... is it a slower pace than most of the books I read? Yes. Mind-numbingly slow? Nah. I am enjoying the time spent with the various characters (families) and I find myself looking forward to seeing what's next.

Having said that. I'm not even attempting to read it all in one sitting. I'm also reading other books at the same time, so maybe the variety helps with what COULD put me to sleep. Hard to say.
I'm off to read a couple more chapters before dinner/movie. I might finish tonight. We'll see. Look forward to reading everyone's thoughts --- even if only after the fact. smile.
Back to top Go down
DEW

DEW

PostSubject: Re: Discovery of Witches - PBC#2   Discovery of Witches - PBC#2 - Page 5 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 19, 2012 10:58 pm

I liked it. look forward to the next book. (although, I didn't care that Diana & Matthew never did the deed so-to-speak. I was more into the history, science, etc... aspect of the book than the romance.) Maybe I'll feel more into them later. I didn't think the book was perfect, but I don't agree with a lot of the criticisms that I had heard. It never put me to sleep/ bored me to death. I don't understand comments like --- nothing happens, there was no plot. Well, I guess I can understand them, but I don't agree with them; however....

I will say that the book does seem as though it was constructed as a trilogy and the story arc is just that... I long arc that intends to stretch over 3 books. Instead of say... I'm going to say The Hunger Games only because there is a commercial for the movie on as I'm typing this... but you can substitute something else... Lord of the Rings... whatever. My point is that in those cases and in MOST cases, there is a more encapsulated feel to the individual books while still having an apparent long story arc. Not so much in A Discovery of Witches. Plenty of things happen, but I guess I can understand why some people would get irritated by the long arc.

I feel as though the next book will have more action (maybe) --- on the War front and/or the sex front. We'll see. For now, I'm assuming the arc/books will go like this: Backstory/history -->- turmoil/more political intrigue ----> resolution. All the creatures sing kum ba ya (spelling?) around the campfire.

Here's the thing. Yes, it's a love story and perhaps there may be some vampire love story cliches, but that's not what I noticed. I was thoroughly interested in the history, science/biology, etc... How often do you get a vampire love story that draws it's storyline(or bases it's back story) heavily from Darwin / Origin's of Species, etc... This book isn't just about Witches, and it's not even just a vampire love story... at least, I hope not --- because I'm interested in the whole Creatures/ genetics side of it.

This first installment DID read more like a set up for the next book, but it was a well-written set up and I'm interested in seeing what happens next.
-------------------------------------------------- One more thing --------------------------------------------
I loved the secondary characters. Loved the Bishop House, want to live in it. I also enjoyed (once again) hearing a french vampire use the pet name 'ma petite' ---- even if on a cat in this instance. smile.

*** I read part of the book (via kindle), but mostly listened to the audio version. The narrator did a good job. Like the book, not perfect... but kept my interest & had me wanting more.

Bottom line: I liked it. Thanks for pushing me to FINALLY getting around to reading it!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Discovery of Witches - PBC#2   Discovery of Witches - PBC#2 - Page 5 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Discovery of Witches - PBC#2
Page 5 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: ARCHIVES-
Jump to: