Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

SearchHomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Diana Gabaldon- Outlander Series - the whole series!

Go down 
+12
Starbrites
sabby
shirleyjo
Greencat
kimba
hopsngrapes
Oh Yes
doxielover
FaeLadyFaye
2shay
Dragonlady
uapeople
16 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 18 ... 31  Next
AuthorMessage
2shay

Diana Gabaldon- Outlander Series - the whole series! - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Diana Gabaldon- Outlander Series - the whole series!   Diana Gabaldon- Outlander Series - the whole series! - Page 5 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 11, 2011 7:44 am

uap--Wow. That last post was enlightning. I don't know, but the idea of Frank, BJR, Claire and Jamie having some sort of connection that transends their life spans and effects their off-spring is an amazing jump in thinking. I have never heard anyone go there, or read it. The bleeding from the same place...the loss of Faith as BJR was losing his ability to be a father.....gosh. There must be a connection, but I would have never thought to look at that situation. You amaze me, uap.
Back to top Go down
uapeople

uapeople

PostSubject: Re: Diana Gabaldon- Outlander Series - the whole series!   Diana Gabaldon- Outlander Series - the whole series! - Page 5 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 11, 2011 7:54 am

Back to top Go down
uapeople

uapeople

PostSubject: Re: Diana Gabaldon- Outlander Series - the whole series!   Diana Gabaldon- Outlander Series - the whole series! - Page 5 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 11, 2011 7:57 am

Ok, so that is old (just read it), but still a ood one
Back to top Go down
doxielover

doxielover

PostSubject: Re: Diana Gabaldon- Outlander Series - the whole series!   Diana Gabaldon- Outlander Series - the whole series! - Page 5 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 11, 2011 8:26 am

UAP, very thoughtful, I agree with 2shay, I never thought about there being a connection between the 4 of them, other than the obvious. There are quite a few things I found disturbing about this time frame. I wish Jamie had confided in Claire and told her what BJR did to Fergus, I wish Claire had trusted Jamie, but none of that happened.
Back to top Go down
uapeople

uapeople

PostSubject: Re: Diana Gabaldon- Outlander Series - the whole series!   Diana Gabaldon- Outlander Series - the whole series! - Page 5 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 11, 2011 10:46 am

I know when they had that quick interaction before he stormed off to an inn before the duel he could have told her why...but then what storyline would we as readers have had? LOL. It's the same reason why the blonde bitch is necessary. It keeps us readers, talking, hating, wondering, what if-ing, etc.
Back to top Go down
uapeople

uapeople

PostSubject: Re: Diana Gabaldon- Outlander Series - the whole series!   Diana Gabaldon- Outlander Series - the whole series! - Page 5 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 11, 2011 10:49 am

2shay wrote:
There must be a connection, but I would have never thought to look at that situation. You amaze me, uap.

Nope, I just over-analyze EVERYTHING and this is my 3rd time through. Just think about why I am so neurotic and oversensitive sometimes...I wonder if I did something wrong and why people don;t do this or that...it's called I am crazy...LOL
Back to top Go down
uapeople

uapeople

PostSubject: Re: Diana Gabaldon- Outlander Series - the whole series!   Diana Gabaldon- Outlander Series - the whole series! - Page 5 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 11, 2011 11:04 am

One more thing...obviously Murtaugh is educated (he had very nice handwriting) and he seems to be a bit upper class and was obviously in love with Ellen. What I want to know is...why did he bound himself to Jamie when Jamie was a day old when he had an older brother William who was the eldest who he could have bound himself to (and I do not believe he was bound to Willie). I always wondered if he owed Ellen or Brian a favor and so he bound himself to Jamie. I also wondered if he ever tried to have an affair with Ellen and wondered about Jamie's paternity a few times (I mean Murtaugh is also a Fraser), but have come to the conclusion that Ellen loved Brian way too much to have an affair. I also wonder why Murtaugh refused to stay in lavish surroundings instead staying in barns, etc. Did he take some sort of vow of poverty? Was it something lie the thing Jamie did after the "nameless French girl" tragedy? I WANT TO KNOW! Dying for the short on Jamie's parents to explain some Murtaugh to me.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Diana Gabaldon- Outlander Series - the whole series!   Diana Gabaldon- Outlander Series - the whole series! - Page 5 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 11, 2011 12:13 pm

Good questions ua. I thought initially that Murtagh made the oath to take care of Jamie because he thought there might be a potential power struggle with the Mackenzie Clan (Colum and Dougal). However, I don't think that is the case or Murtagh would have made the oath to Jamie's older brother with him being first born and having more right to take on the leadership than Jamie.
Back to top Go down
doxielover

doxielover

PostSubject: Re: Diana Gabaldon- Outlander Series - the whole series!   Diana Gabaldon- Outlander Series - the whole series! - Page 5 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 11, 2011 12:46 pm

Maybe someone else was Willie's guardian(godfather)? Just a thought, somebody who was close to Brian. There is so much that happens off page, allowing us to make our own assessments.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Diana Gabaldon- Outlander Series - the whole series!   Diana Gabaldon- Outlander Series - the whole series! - Page 5 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 11, 2011 1:40 pm

So true doxie.

Maybe Murtagh receied some sort of sign that he should take care of Jamie? He believes in fairies, folk lore, etc.
Back to top Go down
uapeople

uapeople

PostSubject: Re: Diana Gabaldon- Outlander Series - the whole series!   Diana Gabaldon- Outlander Series - the whole series! - Page 5 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 11, 2011 2:01 pm

The sad thing is that unless Jamie knows and hasn't so far revealed it, then Jamie won't ever know why. Which is weird...wouldn't he wonder why someone gave up his whole life just for him? It's like it doesn't even phase him...well I guess M must have been around since age 1. I do wonder why he wasn't always around like when BJR came to Lallybrook and tried to rape Jenny (esp when his parents weren't around because they were at a funeral) or when Jamie was so starved he ate grass. There must be something more. I wonder if he ever met another traveler or has the sight himself or something.
Back to top Go down
2shay

PostSubject: Re: Diana Gabaldon- Outlander Series - the whole series!   Diana Gabaldon- Outlander Series - the whole series! - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 12, 2011 9:17 am

Morning, Everyone!

Goodness. What a lot of great posts. All the questions about Murtaugh are fascinating.
Back to top Go down
Oh Yes

Oh Yes

PostSubject: Re: Diana Gabaldon- Outlander Series - the whole series!   Diana Gabaldon- Outlander Series - the whole series! - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 12, 2011 2:10 pm

Ok - I am about half way through DIA. I wonder if I will ever get to read all of your post. I am liking it even more than outlander, as I am really starting to get invested in there people.

star DIA star
Jamie has agreed not to duel JR for a year. I found that scene really emotional. My heart was breaking for Jamie because I knew how badly he wanted his revenge, and he felt so betrayed by Claire. On the other hand, I couldn't help but think that Claire's instincts were correct and he shouldn't kill JR before Frank's ancestor is born. She might disappear. Right? Oh, don't tell me but it does have me wondering.

Here are some quotes for you - I have been marking a few as I read for you guys - all from Jamie (of course):

"I'll leave it to you, Sassenach," he said dryly, "to imagine what it feels like to arrive unexpectedly in the midst of a brothel, in possession of a verra large sausage."

"Mm," he murmured, running a light hand over my ribs. "I like it when ye come out all gooseflesh like that Sassenach."

"I always thought it would be a simple matter to lie wi' a woman," he said soflty. "And yet...I want to fall on my face at your feet and worship you" -he dropped the towel and reached out, taking me by the shoulders- "and still I want to force ye to your knees before me, and hold ye there wi' my hands tangled in your hair and your mouth at my service...and I want both things at the same time, Sassenach."

"If it was a sin for you to choose me... then I would go to the Devil himself and bless for tempting ye to it."
Back to top Go down
doxielover

doxielover

PostSubject: Re: Diana Gabaldon- Outlander Series - the whole series!   Diana Gabaldon- Outlander Series - the whole series! - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 12, 2011 3:32 pm

Oh Yes, great quites bounce
Back to top Go down
uapeople

uapeople

PostSubject: Re: Diana Gabaldon- Outlander Series - the whole series!   Diana Gabaldon- Outlander Series - the whole series! - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSun Mar 13, 2011 8:08 am

Ahhhh Jamie!

And as for Claire, I hate that she says it's because of Frank, not because maybe she'd never make it to the stones and Jamie if he kills BJR. That always seemed insensitive to me on her part.
Back to top Go down
2shay

PostSubject: Re: Diana Gabaldon- Outlander Series - the whole series!   Diana Gabaldon- Outlander Series - the whole series! - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSun Mar 13, 2011 9:09 am

Oh Yes! Love those quotes! Jamie is so smart and well educated. He can really express himself so eloquently. His command of language and his sincerety make him the most quotable character ever.

star DIA star

So much happens in this book that is just heartbreaking. It is a bumpy ride through their time in France.
Back to top Go down
Oh Yes

Oh Yes

PostSubject: Re: Diana Gabaldon- Outlander Series - the whole series!   Diana Gabaldon- Outlander Series - the whole series! - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSun Mar 13, 2011 11:52 am

Yes, he certainly is one of the most quotable fictional men I have ever met.

star DIA star
WOW! Why can't Jamie just kill the SOB already, although I guess it is better for him that he just stabbed in where he did. But I have a feeling JR will be popping up every now and then, UGH. Poor Claire and baby faith.

I am now on pg 445 and they just fought the first battle. I feel so sorry for Claire and Jamie, talk about star-crossed doomed lovers. They should just get on a boat and go to America already. No Kings or Queens and there won't be a war for a while.
Back to top Go down
2shay

PostSubject: Re: Diana Gabaldon- Outlander Series - the whole series!   Diana Gabaldon- Outlander Series - the whole series! - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSun Mar 13, 2011 12:24 pm

star DIA star

Are you talking about the battle at Prestonpans?
Back to top Go down
uapeople

uapeople

PostSubject: Re: Diana Gabaldon- Outlander Series - the whole series!   Diana Gabaldon- Outlander Series - the whole series! - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 14, 2011 6:19 am

star DiA
Ok I am about up to the nettles scene and the the meeting and dialog to and during the beginning of that scene. For the first time I am really getting why people have such a hard time with it fitting their personalities. I get it but yet I also see that sometimes in extreme situations that sometimes people are not predictable. I will hear more on my drive home and let you know any more thoughts. Also, why does Jamie think she lied about the king. She actually didn't lie, she just didn't tell yet....just like when they were first married she couldn't tell him she came through time. That bothered me that he thought she lied. And then that he brought up how she felt with BJR- interesting but the conversation didn't go where I thought it would. Also obviously since she is shying away from his touch and she never did even in the beginning of their marriage, he must realize she didn't like it one bit, so even if she said it was half done in anger to push him away, it seems odd.
Back to top Go down
2shay

PostSubject: Re: Diana Gabaldon- Outlander Series - the whole series!   Diana Gabaldon- Outlander Series - the whole series! - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 14, 2011 7:06 am

Hey, if any of you are interested in what might happen if a couple of men very much like BJR and Lord John were transported 200 years in the future, you should read Josh Lanyon's Adrien Engish series. It is so obvious, and I was into the fourt book before I made the connection. The Adrien English stories have a lot of explicit m/m sex, so be ready for that if you decide to go there. Also, they are written more in a mystery genre....sort of like the Lord John Grey books. Anyway, I am really enjoying the stories.
Back to top Go down
uapeople

uapeople

PostSubject: Re: Diana Gabaldon- Outlander Series - the whole series!   Diana Gabaldon- Outlander Series - the whole series! - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 14, 2011 8:46 am

Interesting. Will add to my ever growing TBR list. I am still in my highlander romance series (Mary Wine- read the McJames series and now onto her highlander series). Pure romance with a bit of history thrown in around the characters. Very different change for me, but I'm enjoying it none the less.
Back to top Go down
2shay

PostSubject: Re: Diana Gabaldon- Outlander Series - the whole series!   Diana Gabaldon- Outlander Series - the whole series! - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 14, 2011 10:15 am

There are some good ones. I loved the KMM highlander books.
Back to top Go down
uapeople

uapeople

PostSubject: Re: Diana Gabaldon- Outlander Series - the whole series!   Diana Gabaldon- Outlander Series - the whole series! - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 15, 2011 5:43 am

star DiA
Ok, so Raymound healed Claire and then they get back to Lallybroch and she goes to the field and has a headache. She closes her eyes and pictures healthy organs and her blood flowing in and out and reaches fro Jamie she says to herself that as long as she can find him no matter where he is she will live (or something like that). She says Raymound knew that he was the only one who could heal her and that is why he told her to reach for the red man. She even avoided him after the miscarriage because she knew he was the only one who could heal her soul and she didn't want to be healed/feel again. Then after the nettles the way they had sex where they were trying to feel in every place so close as they were one...very interesting. I got to thinking...when she travels, is she actually reforming herself on the other side? Is she able to reform her image to make it whole and that is how Raymound and she healed herself? Will she be able to heal others when she grasps this, and is that what the medicine lady later on says? Also, a bit of foreshadowing...after C heals herself at Lallybroch of the headache and feels euphoric like she does after sex and her body is seeking J's, she wonders if after all J's adventures if he will ever be content to become laird of Lallybroch and stay there for the rest of his life.
Back to top Go down
doxielover

doxielover

PostSubject: Re: Diana Gabaldon- Outlander Series - the whole series!   Diana Gabaldon- Outlander Series - the whole series! - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 15, 2011 6:59 am

Starting DIA, exciting, emotional journey ahead.
Back to top Go down
Oh Yes

Oh Yes

PostSubject: Re: Diana Gabaldon- Outlander Series - the whole series!   Diana Gabaldon- Outlander Series - the whole series! - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 15, 2011 7:43 pm

I am finally finished with DIA!

star DIA star
How very sad 😢 I know the books are still about Jamie and Claire and there are more to come, but how? I know keep reading.... But all in all this book was so sad, a great read just sad. Poor Claire living without him all these year. Poor Jamie going to battle to die, losing Claire, never seeing his child! UGH it just sucked. Really how could they put themselves and his men anywhere near Cullendon(sp) field on that day is beyond me. And how did Jamie escape? And what happens at the kirk at St Kilda? And what was the date on the bloody tombstone? And now that Jack Randall has given Frank his title, can Jamie please kill him? Hahaha - see I have a few questions.

So how many books are there going to be in this series? When does the next one come out?

I am going to read some KMM highlanders before I start Voyager. Love these books but I need something light and fluffy once I have finished one. I will settle for some virgin meets highlander sexual angst that ends HEA until those nagging questions above drive me crazy.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Diana Gabaldon- Outlander Series - the whole series!   Diana Gabaldon- Outlander Series - the whole series! - Page 5 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Diana Gabaldon- Outlander Series - the whole series!
Page 5 of 31Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 18 ... 31  Next