Share | 

Charlanie Harris

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 8 ... 12, 13, 14, 15  Next
AuthorMessage
Oh Yes

PostSubject: Re: Charlanie Harris   Sat May 07, 2011 1:04 pm

star DR
GP I agree with some of the stuff you said but I think it was still a pretty good read. Sookie has always cleaned stuff it is the way she works through things. I guess she has always been a bit of a hypocrite too.

I was talking to a couple of my writer friends and really I think we have nothing to worry about as far as Eric/Sookie goes. I mean there is still so much angst, drama and plot being spun around them, it is quite obvious they are the center of the Sookieverse. Still to many unanswered questions. To me the other bits are fan shout-outs. Alcide in mankinis, Sam the big red herring.... IMO if Eric wasn't going to be the one we would see a LOT more handwriting on the wall, and not just the stuff she has thrown in to keeps wondering how it will all work out.

uap - I meant to ask you as a fan of Bill's did you feel that it was pandering to you at all the Bill/Sookie naked scene? I mean if CH had told AB she was going to kill Eric at the end of DAG, and then came back a few books later with a scene like that and then said in an interview something about "one last fling", I think I might be angry at the author. Like, you are only writing this to give us a little nugget, and I don't appreciate being teased. But that might just be me. I think I might have felt it a bit insulting. I always try to think what the other side must think, that is why I asked. Of course, I could never ask that over there LOL. But I think you know me well enough to know I am asking out of curiosity, not out of sides or anything stupid like that.
Back to top Go down
uapeople

PostSubject: Re: Charlanie Harris   Sat May 07, 2011 8:38 pm

star DR star
Oh Yes- I know it makes no sense but I still don't think Bill is out of the running any more than Eric is them both being vamps. (See my prior posts on this thread about that.) Anyway, Bill and Sookie banter/conversation especially sexual is my favorite only seconded by Eric. I loved that when Eric bit Sookie and it hurt that she wanted normal and stared at Bill and asked Bill to drive her home and that he knew her enough to give her silence in the car. he seems to know her better than any- I mean Eric know her well also, but not that much. (Remember a little football game ending in being bent over the chair she pictures herself? That also brings me back to- could Bill have some extra powers- liek can he read her sometimes and is that why he was able to help her the most with her telepathy and why she never read Bill but did read Eric a few times). But I still like(d) Quinn, Alcide and Sam (though Alcide was an ass quite a lot lately where he invites her somewhere takes advantage of her goodwill and then she leaves mad- EVERY TIME, but she always comes when he asks). Do you think Sookie may use the cd to wish that Cataladales never bestowed his gift to her grandmother Adele or maybe will wish Claudine alive or an angel, or maybe even wish Bill to never have been found by Lorena. Or like I said maybe wish a vampire to be human so she could have a family and grow old with them. Maybe she'll wish fairies away. I could go on forever.
Back to top Go down
Oh Yes

PostSubject: Re: Charlanie Harris   Sat May 07, 2011 10:22 pm

star DR
Thanks uap I was wondering how a Bill fan might feel about it.

In CH world I never rule out anyone. Although I think Quinn and Alcide are out! Two down - 2000 to go!

I hope she doesn't use the dor on anything as she will need to be mighty careful. What I don't want to see happen is her turn it into a "it never happened" wizard of OZ moment - that would suck!

Of course I think she is gonna use it on Eric. Either to save him from something or maybe turn him into a daywalking vamp that will live with her and let her have a baby.

Yum I have cheesecake!!!!!
Damn all these vampires I am gonna go read me the rest of Drums of Autumn!!
Back to top Go down
2shay

PostSubject: Re: Charlanie Harris   Sun May 08, 2011 9:20 am

OY -- Be sure to post your DRUMS thoughts!

star DR star

I am just not as entranced as I once was with the Sookieverse. I would have probably stopped reading it a couple of books ago if all of you weren't still on the bandwagon. I think it has just gotten...to quote gp...so blahhhhh.
Back to top Go down
uapeople

PostSubject: Re: Charlanie Harris   Sun May 08, 2011 7:41 pm

Drums: Yes, I wanna hear- but some people find Drums boring because they go to this big festival type meeting and it is day to day type of stuff. Once you've read the series, the second time it isn't boring because there is lots going on that you don't pick up the first time.

2shay, I agree, they weren't as up to snuff. Although I attributed it to a lack of Bill as the beau (just kidding) but no, I do agree. The end of this one I though was more on par to the others.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Charlanie Harris   Sun May 08, 2011 9:31 pm

star DR star

Hey twin, I agree, the ending of this book reminded me of earlier books in the series.

I just wasn't impressed with this book. The fairy blood inconsistency pissed me off. How can Eric drain a fairy in DITF and not have any affect on him, but he's scared of a few drops of fairy blood on a glass???? WTF?? I just kept hoping that CH was going to clear that situation up, but it didn't happen.

I just think CH is bored with the series and her writing is suffering because of it.

And, Sookie having so many suitors to choose from is just borring. Yeah, she's got big tits - but her personality sucks (at least in the last few books)! Rolling Eyes

Sookie is all like, I am a Christian and I think killing is wrong! Yet, she didn't mind Quin staking Andre, and she wanted to kill Appius and/or see him dead, she helped kill Sandra Pelt (that was a boring and predictable plotline), and then she was the one who came up with the plot to kill Victor. And then she and Sam look at Jannalyn with disgust as she finishes off Sandra Pelt. Hypocrite - anyone, anyone? And yes she did kill Debbie - but that was self-defense and she didn't have a choice. The other situations, she had a choice IMO.

I will read the next two books as I have to know how the series ends, but I probably won't purchase them.

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Charlanie Harris   Sun May 08, 2011 9:40 pm

[quote="kimba"] star star DR star star

Well perhaps the painful bit was to hint at Sookie that shes a pain in the neck...lol..yes I know that was bad,but it's due to my frame of mind from reading this book.

I keep thinking,who are these characters? Everyone seems so out of character,is it a TB influence? Pam hated weakness,but loves a sickly woman? I suppose you could reason,you never can tell who you will end up loving. But it seems,so un-Pamlike.

Alcede: Well sum it up:stupid scene. Seriously can you actually picture the packmaster thinking he would do that? Perhaps and 'come on to her',but naked in her bed...WTH?!

Sam: He was always the protective type..now he has a girlfriend who protects him? Hello turn into a lion,.or a fire breathing dragon and fry Sandra!

Eric: heart heart heart

So history has now changed and Eric has known all along who and what Sookie was? WTH??

But I am happy that even without the BB that E/S love each other. That can officially stop the she only loved Bill stuff.

I just don't know what to think about this marriage contract. I so want Sookie to fight to keep Eric!

star star

Great review Kimba!!! I agree with all of your points 100%!

Back to top Go down
calimama

PostSubject: Re: Charlanie Harris   Sun May 08, 2011 11:05 pm

OK finally finished DR
star DR spoilers

I still love the sookieverse. I'm not disliking it as others are, but it is feeling a bit drawn out. However, I know when it's over, I'll wish there were a few more to read. I'm not easy to please. smile
One of the big scenes for me, besides the obvious naked men scenes--loved those, was a conversation she had with Sam about whether or not people can change. I need to read it again. I know this may be a long shot, but it made me think of Eric and who he was in the Dead to the World and how he said he wanted to take care of her. Has he changed or has he just learned to be a better vampire. Will her wish somehow remind him of his true self? IDK, just thinking here.... Ha ha, hear the wheels turning?

I'm really hoping that Sam is a red herring. But, I know in the Harper series there was a lot of talk about how her HEA was her best friend (can't think of the guy's name at the moment) That seems to be important to CH and there was lots of talk of it in DR.

Anywho, What the heck is going on with the fairies?
Back to top Go down
calimama

PostSubject: Re: Charlanie Harris   Sun May 08, 2011 11:07 pm

star DR spoilers

OH YEAH, I forgot to add.... How fabulous was it to see Lily Bard again? And, she was so kick ass too!!! Love, love, love her.
Back to top Go down
44surf

PostSubject: Re: Charlanie Harris   Mon May 09, 2011 12:35 am

I am just gonna say...My mother always told me if I didn't have anything nice to say to be quiet...sooooo...I am just going to be quiet! :D But I just can't keep my mouth completely shut...I really thought it was...well I couldn't force myself to finish. Sigh...the quality of the last three books have been such a disappointment.
Back to top Go down
uapeople

PostSubject: Re: Charlanie Harris   Mon May 09, 2011 8:19 am

Love all your comments. keep em coming
Back to top Go down
sabby

PostSubject: Re: Charlanie Harris   Mon May 09, 2011 8:32 am

So uuuuummmm yeah I guess i'll go with what GP said it was pretty blah for me too. The last 3 books have gone down hill; it just seems like CH is not inspired/motivated by this series anymore?? Maybe the show messed up her mojo?? But yeah I'm sad to say that I'm happy its ending in 2 books (never thought I'd say that) but I want to finish the journey out..... I just want to take the short route to get there!!!

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Charlanie Harris   Mon May 09, 2011 9:18 am

Tripple ditto sabby! LOL! Hi

If the writer doesn't care about what she is writing, and the editorial staff doesn't care about how her books come out with so many errors - then why as a consumer should I care either? Sad
Back to top Go down
FaeLadyFaye

PostSubject: Re: Charlanie Harris   Mon May 09, 2011 9:22 am

This isn't the only big name book from Penguin publishing house this year that has been poorly edited.
Back to top Go down
2shay

PostSubject: Re: Charlanie Harris   Mon May 09, 2011 11:08 am

star DR star

I will probably finish the series. I still think it has gotten boring, and most of the characters are not....well, in character. Sad
Back to top Go down
44surf

PostSubject: Re: Charlanie Harris   Mon May 09, 2011 1:28 pm

2shay wrote:
star DR star

and most of the characters are not....well, in character. Sad

I feel exactly the same way 2shay. Who are these people...uhhhh I mean characters! no idea
Back to top Go down
2shay

PostSubject: Re: Charlanie Harris   Mon May 09, 2011 2:45 pm

star DR star

If there is a series that has been around long enough for us to know the characters, it's this one. Someone earlier in this thread was talking about how Sookie doesn't seem to mind killing anymore..... wtf It's like all of her moral issues have just vanished.
Back to top Go down
Oh Yes

PostSubject: Re: Charlanie Harris   Mon May 09, 2011 4:02 pm

star DR star
I just think it is really a shame and I don't like the direction it is going in. No it has nothing to do with the suitors - nothing. This series has always shown the supes to be more human than we thought and the humans to be worse than we thought, and I always loved that aspect.

But as Sookie becomes more and more of a Giant UberHypocrite I just want to throttle her like Eric did Pam. It reminds me of those people who sit around and say what good Christians they are and go out and do something like picket service-men's funerals calling them fags. And that is what Sookie is starting to remind me of, and I think CH is going to try and pull some moral humans are better than vampires bit that to me at least should be the opposite message to come out of this series. I hope that is not the case because that would be wrong IMO.
Back to top Go down
2shay

PostSubject: Re: Charlanie Harris   Tue May 10, 2011 10:31 am

star DR star

Giant UberHypocrite! Purrrfect..... purr kitty
Back to top Go down
b4v

PostSubject: Re: Charlanie Harris   Sun May 22, 2011 6:05 am

Finally starting DR now twirling
Back to top Go down
Greencat

PostSubject: Re: Charlanie Harris   Mon May 23, 2011 9:52 pm

b4u whats your opinion on DR?
Back to top Go down
b4v

PostSubject: Re: Charlanie Harris   Tue May 24, 2011 7:42 am

Literally just finished, so I'm going to meander on back through this thread a little before posting my thoughts.
Back to top Go down
b4v

PostSubject: Re: Charlanie Harris   Tue May 24, 2011 8:57 am

star HR star

I liked the book. Having said that, I wasn't so enamoured of Sookie, though. I agree that she seems to be growing into a big hypocrite. And she's gotten a bit of a habit of laying blame at the feet of people who don't really deserve it when circumstances don't go her way. I don't know if the characters weren't in character so much as that they just weren't given any chance to really be themselves. I guess what I'm trying to say is, even thought I enjoyed the story, it felt a bit too flat and one dimensional. The depth of character for even the minor characters that was such a big part of the earlier books seems to be missing somewhat. If that makes sense?
Back to top Go down
gracious-plenty
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Charlanie Harris   Wed May 25, 2011 12:51 pm

Makes perfect sense to me Wink

mlssglbrt9

PostSubject: Re: Charlanie Harris   Tue Jul 19, 2011 8:47 pm

I am starting book 5 today. These are new to me, so they're really exciting!

I totally fell in love with Eric in book four. It broke my heart when he got his memory back. Sad
Back to top Go down
http://evolutionofalifestyle.blogspot.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Charlanie Harris   

Back to top Go down

Charlanie Harris
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 13 of 15Go to page : Previous  1 ... 8 ... 12, 13, 14, 15  Next