Share | 

Lover Unleashed

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
AuthorMessage
FaeLadyFaye

PostSubject: Re: Lover Unleashed   Sun Apr 03, 2011 11:37 am

star LUl star

Yes, I feel a bit uncharitable as well. It doesn't change the fact this book left me feeling very frustrated. I am in awe of Ward's imagination, but the excessive use of slang and the lack of continuity in terms of her own characters pull me out of the story to the point I was unable to just sit back and enjoy the fruits of her imagination.

I also felt in some ways this book was rewriting the Jane and V story in more blatant terms. The scene where Payne's hand didn't go through her and she told Payne that V also was able to touch her when no one else could was upsetting for me as a reader when Ward then pointed out the fact that was a metaphor for their relationship. V is the only one who can touch Jane and make her real. I've always gotten that, and I never understood the Jane hate. Yes, I was a bit confused by her and the jokes are fun to make, but I never hated Jane. I felt bad that Ward, or her subconscious or however she describes her writing process, felt the need to say it again. Felt the need to rewrite them.
Back to top Go down
uapeople

PostSubject: Re: Lover Unleashed   Sun Apr 03, 2011 12:18 pm

kimba wrote:
I always liked Tohr,but to be honest I am not sure I will love his book. N'One and him,ehhhh not to exciting to me. I want him happy,but not seeing the big romance with them.

Lover Unleashed. SPOILERS*********************************************************

Why the heck didn't Rhage turn into his dragon during the big fight where they were all hurt so badly! in fact,Rhage could have died from his injuries,so you would think the beast would have been roaring to get out.

I love Payne! I was worried because I still don't like Xhex,and was so shocked to find out that I REALLy liked Payne!

I was so bummed we didn't see the actual mating of V and Jane! heck after all they went through to get to that point you would think JRW would have shown us V getting his back tat!

And do you think Q's vison of his and Layla's baby will come true? I think it will! I see Q/B and Layla together

star star star star

I thought the same thing. I guess becasue they were in the middle of town and were afriad of being discovered...but how he kept the beast from coming out...I have no idea!
Back to top Go down
uapeople

PostSubject: Re: Lover Unleashed   Sun Apr 03, 2011 12:21 pm

star star
I thought until they got his sympath side completely under control Rhev would still need drugs and hence the cane.

star spoilers for next book??? star

Well there was a mistake Ward made a while back where she thought she was releasing a piece of LUL, and it was Jane carving the J on his back. It turned out she was confused and it was from a future book and people got all worked up...so yes, looks like we will see the ceremony after all.
Back to top Go down
sabby

PostSubject: Re: Lover Unleashed   Sun Apr 03, 2011 5:41 pm

star star LUl star star - spoilers

So I finally finished last night aaaaaaannnnnnndddddd....... I didnt love it?!?!?!?! Obviously I absolutely loved all the V parts and am happy that it finally feels like V and Jane are an established couple; and there doesnt need to be anymore speculation of if he really should have been with Butch. And Butch was perfect, he really stepped it up in a great way for V. I adored Manny, thought he was fantastic (although yeah he's speech pattern was a little redundant). His erection scenes and the one of V ping ponging out of the room after what he saw was absolutely hilarious!!!! I also really liked the Quinn revelations.... dont know what to think of the visions; and although I wouldn't mind a Qhuayla threesome it would feel like a cop out and unfair to Blay (after everything).

I agree with Dopple this book absolutely felt like a transitional book!! My problems with the book were that even though I loved the V parts... it almost overshadowed the Payne and Manny story. The continuity issues seemed massive!! Even little scenes when Payne was waiting for Wrath to come, Jane said it was an hour to sunrise; yet later Manny said he woke up at 4am and after that scene they were all back at the mansion waiting for V, and Butch still had time to go pick him up at the Commodore???? And the pacing even though it was a short time frame seemed slow. And the end felt anticlimatic and unresolved, more so than any other. There are so many questions looming: how is Manny really going to stay with her if he doesnt do the transition? Will they be properly mated? Where was N'one throughout all this (especially now we know Tohr's book is next)? And it just seemed to convenient that Manny will now function at Havers' clinic; I just cannot see them getting along!!! Havers has too much of a stick up his ass and Manny too much of an ego to work together, imo.

Ok that sounds like a lot of dislikes; but I did enjoy it. Probably just too much anticipation ruined it for me?? Sad
Back to top Go down
sabby

PostSubject: Re: Lover Unleashed   Sun Apr 03, 2011 5:47 pm

OH and not loving that Tohrment is next either. I definitely agree it feels to soon. He's just getting back to functional/normal what a few weeks ago (according to story timeline). Why was there so much emphasis on Mhurder in LM and now??? I was hoping the next book would be Lassiter or Mhurder for Layla. Lassiter's book would be a riot!!! And than that would help to move Tohr's story along; oh well?
Back to top Go down
uapeople

PostSubject: Re: Lover Unleashed   Sun Apr 03, 2011 6:05 pm

star star
I would love to read a Lassiter book! Hmmm Murder for Layla...interesting also...still think that one of the Bastards would work for Layla...and yes, how did the Bastards feed without chosen or females of the vampire kind?

the Quayla trio would not be fair to not only Blay after everything but also to Layla. Blay and Qhuinn only have eyes for each other, so she would just be there for her ovaries. What kind of a HEA is that for her? Plus I'll say it again, I think Qhuinn sees himself as a defect (his eyes) and he wouldn't want to pass that on or curse someone with his child who is as perefct as Layla...that seems to be his POV. If anything, I'd think he'd want Blay to impregnate her not himself. I still think it may be his brother that gets her preggers and that is the kid he saw in the vision.

Last edited by uapeople on Sun Apr 03, 2011 6:07 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : typos)
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Lover Unleashed   Sun Apr 03, 2011 6:09 pm

PURLS say NO! to QHUAYLA.... right? Wink
Back to top Go down
Oh Yes

PostSubject: Re: Lover Unleashed   Mon Apr 04, 2011 4:02 pm

star
Kimba, I thought the same damn thing about Rhage's beast WTF! Yes, there are way to many continuity errors for my liking in this book and that seems so unlike JRWard. Oh well. Onto No'One and Thor, not sure I like No'One. But I bet he has to protect her and he actually does and that gets him over not being able to protect Wesselie or was it Welleslie?

LMAO - I love QHUAYLA! Too funny, makes me snicker every time.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Lover Unleashed   Sat Apr 09, 2011 12:08 am

I haven't read through this thread yet, so maybe someone else pointed this out. But, here is what I was thinking regarding Qhuay and Qhuin and Layla's baby:

I think the Scribe Virgin is going to ask a penance from both Qhuin and Blay for them being the first to mate in vampire history and in the likes of the Brotherhood realm. The Penance being that one of them (Qhuin) has to provide an offspring as the vamp/race is deteriorating and needs to be replenished. So, it could boil down to a threesome with Qhuin being the lucky sperm donor. But, I doubt that Blay would want to participate as he is pretty much over threesomes with Qhuin and wants to focus on males/Qhuin
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Lover Unleashed   Sat Apr 09, 2011 12:15 am

And, not to be nasty - but Layla deserves some time with a few men before settling down with her HEA! She has been refused too much with her being an Ehros, so she has a lot of built up stamina she needs to burn off.

I actually liked Xcor and am with my twin (uap) that the scene with the "lady of the night" was great. Layla needs some lovin, I would hate for her to be a virgin when she meets her HEA - soooooo predictable and so not worth her rejections from the Brotherhood. Now that I type that, I think Layla will take a walk on the wildside and persue the band of bastards!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Lover Unleashed   Sat Apr 09, 2011 12:19 am

What the feck is Payne going to do to survive? Sabby pointed out to me that V's blood wouldn't work as they are sibilings and Marissa would have turned to Havers instead of Rhev if that would have worked.

So, Manny is a doctor, so I don't see him caring if the blood came from Butch (life's necessity) or Rhage. Payne could give to Rhage and Rhage could give to her - problem solved without asking even more of Layla.
Back to top Go down
Doppleganger
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Lover Unleashed   Sat Apr 09, 2011 9:14 am

I think that is another inconsistency. The bastards feed off of humans, yet when Z did that he was wasting away. Marrissa couldn't feed from Butch before his transition, but Manny has strong enough blood for Payne.
I guess that as I continue this series (and OF COURSE I'm going to continue) I need to loosen my attachment to the rules of the BDB world.

I agree Layla needs to get out and live for herself for a while before she settles down! Or maybe she'll settle down with somebody wild. Muhrder?

“I love language, words, and all the lovely, exciting, and heart wrenching things you can do with them. Pick the right ones, put them in the right order, and you've created a moment in time where the reader forgets about the late car payment, the dirty dishes, the impending workweek. You have created a state of bliss. Or negligence, depending on your perspective ” -- Darynda Jones heart
Back to top Go down
FaeLadyFaye

PostSubject: Re: Lover Unleashed   Sat Apr 09, 2011 9:32 am

The book did say there were still vamps in Europe. I got the impression they just hadn't fed from a vamp recently. I also got the impression they had no problem supplementing their diet with human blood. As though we were a daily vitamin.

Whereas I do think Ward plays a little fast and loose with her own rules, she has stated in the past half breeds are always a bit outside the rules. It's possible for one of them to have strong blood. Also, the more pure the vamp the less blood they need, etc. I think if you really wanted to get into the fine detail of that it would mostly make some sense. Maybe. In a way.

I try to not delve too deeply into some things. My disbelief is happily suspended, and I want to keep it that way.
Back to top Go down
Doppleganger
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Lover Unleashed   Sat Apr 09, 2011 9:48 am

Like a One-a-Day chewable plus iron?
I somehow got it into my head that the Bastards don't feed from female vamps. (I really like that this new group is called the "Bastards", btw.)

That's true about half-breeds though. They do tend to be unpredictable.

“I love language, words, and all the lovely, exciting, and heart wrenching things you can do with them. Pick the right ones, put them in the right order, and you've created a moment in time where the reader forgets about the late car payment, the dirty dishes, the impending workweek. You have created a state of bliss. Or negligence, depending on your perspective ” -- Darynda Jones heart
Back to top Go down
FaeLadyFaye

PostSubject: Re: Lover Unleashed   Sat Apr 09, 2011 9:54 am

One thing that bugged me was the Lessers leaving Europe. If their objective is to kill vamps why have they left if Vamps are alive in Europe? When did the objective of the Lessers become nothing more than fighting the Brothers?

See what I mean? I shouldn't be delving deeply into this.
Back to top Go down
FaeLadyFaye

PostSubject: Re: Lover Unleashed   Sat Apr 09, 2011 10:06 am

Lover Unleashed hit 2 on the NYT best seller list. Congrats JR Ward!!!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Lover Unleashed   Sat Apr 09, 2011 5:18 pm

Stick to the shallows with me Wink easier to float around! Actually don't - I rely on you for the deep stuff!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Lover Unleashed   Mon Apr 11, 2011 1:30 pm

Autumnleaves wrote:
I haven't read through this thread yet, so maybe someone else pointed this out. But, here is what I was thinking regarding Qhuay and Qhuin and Layla's baby:

I think the Scribe Virgin is going to ask a penance from both Qhuin and Blay for them being the first males to mate in vampire history and in the likes of the Brotherhood realm. The Penance being that one of them (Qhuin) has to provide an offspring as the vamp/race is deteriorating and needs to be replenished. So, it could boil down to a threesome with Qhuin being the lucky sperm donor. But, I doubt that Blay would want to participate as he is pretty much over threesomes with Qhuin and wants to focus on males/Qhuin

Any thoughts on my theory?
Back to top Go down
FaeLadyFaye

PostSubject: Re: Lover Unleashed   Mon Apr 11, 2011 1:37 pm

Personally, I think the fact Payne described what happened with her first Needing was a big plot string. Qhuinn has convinced Layla to stay on this side more. So she has a month of being here full time before her first Needing hits? I'm guessing it will be a bit like Bella and Z, minus the romantic love.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Lover Unleashed   Mon Apr 11, 2011 2:04 pm

That makes since FLF.

Has Ward commented on if Manny's blood is strong enough for her to live off of? If not, her needing will be right around the corner again as well.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Lover Unleashed   Mon Apr 11, 2011 2:09 pm

Following on the same theory of plot strings, do you think that Manny was able to speak "bro" so fluently and so quickly because of V swiping his memory when he first met him? He stated that he only started to like Laguvalin (sp?) after his memory was swiped.

I would think a highly affluent, succesful surgeon who speaks at top universities and hospitals in the United States would not talk street lingo so fluently. And rap music wouldn't have influenced him as he only listens to acid/hard rock which has cursing, but not much slang.
Back to top Go down
FaeLadyFaye

PostSubject: Re: Lover Unleashed   Mon Apr 11, 2011 2:20 pm

I don't go to Ward's website. If she has said something I have no idea what it may be. I do know in the past she has said being a half-breed breaks the rules in terms of what is and isn't possible. Manny had already fed Payne multiple times in a short span of time before he had his blood work which came back great. Payne regenerates him and he feeds her all she wants.

Yeah, the slang. I don't know why a well educated older man would speak like that. Add to it people who listen to rap and people who listen to metal have different speech patterns. Yeah, this is one of those areas where I just back away. The theory that it is a result of mental tinkering is as good a theory as any.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Lover Unleashed   Mon Apr 11, 2011 3:42 pm

It is better for me to take the high road as you stated in an earlier post and not delve too deep into the reasons behind some of the actions and/or plot in this book. smile

One thing I don't understand is some negative reviews on Payne and how people were expecting her to be more like Xhex and not so feminine. We really only got to see Payne hospitalized for the most part and her romantic involvements with Manny. She didn't share many detailed scenes with others outside of the one with Jane. So, when was she supposed to have had time to spoon someone's eyeballs out or behead someone? lol! She did spend 300 years as a Chosen although she has her father's build and fighting spirit. So, I wouldn't expect much more of her character than what we received. Personally, I liked her and look forward to her fighting with the brothers.

Additionally, Xhex was at her most vulnerable following her injuries from Lash. So, we got to see a more feminine side to her during her rehabilitation and helping JM come to terms with his rape and all the nasty things Lash did to Xhex - - all of which helped her come to terms with her true feelings for JM. JMO

Last edited by Autumnleaves on Mon Apr 11, 2011 3:43 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spelling)
Back to top Go down
FaeLadyFaye

PostSubject: Re: Lover Unleashed   Mon Apr 11, 2011 3:56 pm

I also am a bit perplexed by reviews that complained about Payne. She isn't Xhex. I don't understand why people expected her to be Xhex. All tough girls need to be Xhex? Blay, Butch, and Phury can fight then clean up well but Payne has to be tough all the time like Xhex? Even Xhex got to clean up for her Mating. I don't know what people were expecting in terms of Payne. To me she was very much in keeping with what we saw of her in Lover Mine.

Until someone shows me the Great Cosmic Rule that says a girl can't kick ass and wear frilly clothes I'm going to be content with Payne. I liked her.
Back to top Go down
sabby

PostSubject: Re: Lover Unleashed   Mon Apr 11, 2011 6:59 pm

Well I'm not sure if I neccesarily expected her to be like Xhex per say; and granted most of the time we see her is when she is vulnerable and/or with Manny. I guess I just expected if nothing physical a little more snarkiness. I mean her interactions with like Layla and NoOne showed her "soft" side but when it came to the SV and Wrath she had a little more edge/attitude. I think thats what I felt was missing. But maybe there was just not that many opportunities for us to see it?? But yeah I think thats what bothered me not her exterior appearance so much loved the long hair/braid (like Jane Yellowrock) but she just felt a bit too stiff and proper; not sure if I'm making any sense??
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Lover Unleashed   

Back to top Go down

Lover Unleashed
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 7 of 8Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next