SearchHomeMemberlistRegisterLog inFAQ

Share | 

Outlander Series for NEW readers of the series

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
AuthorMessage

PostSubject: Re: Outlander Series for NEW readers of the series   Wed Sep 07, 2011 7:29 pm

Ok,I thought you were referring to 2shay's earlier mention of another scene but you were referring to the controversial scene. I agree, I didn't see it as that bad (didn't like it) but I've read much worse things done to women.
Back to top Go down
uapeople

PostSubject: Re: Outlander Series for NEW readers of the series   Thu Sep 08, 2011 6:46 am

I agree with FLF and Autumn...shocker...it wasn't something I approve of but it wasn't all that bad and it proves the role of women in that time period and the control a man could use if he wanted.
Back to top Go down
2shay

PostSubject: Re: Outlander Series for NEW readers of the series   Thu Sep 08, 2011 1:25 pm

star Spoiler star

Violence against women sets off ALL my alarms. Ya'll know the scene. I set the book down for a while. Refused to read another word unlil uap and autumn and, actually dallasmc talked me out of being furious. That same thing is what got Dopple.
Back to top Go down
Doppleganger
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Outlander Series for NEW readers of the series   Thu Sep 08, 2011 2:31 pm

star Outlander star

I fell instantly in love with Outlander, even before Claire got sucked into the stones. Or through the stones, into a temporal vortex fueled by gemstones, genetics, and bloody rituals. Whatever. The mechanism by which it works doesnt matter much in the first book.

I had to be talked into picking Outlander back up after the beating too. Jaime and I weren't on good terms for a while. Everytime something bad happened, I'd remind him that karma is a bitch. :sunny: Everything he said, I had a snippy reply.
I got upset with Claire too. (Throw his ring out the window! Make him sleep on the floor! Sneak the fuck out again! What is wrong with you, woman?!)

It got to where bitching at Jaime turned into a game. Until something truly horrible happened to him. That took all the fun out of it.
He did express some regret, as he was taking Claire to the stones. It wasnt much, but I needed that in order to continue with the series.

Outlander brought out the passive-aggressive reader in me, like no book ever has before ir since. And I've read Twilight! smile

“I love language, words, and all the lovely, exciting, and heart wrenching things you can do with them. Pick the right ones, put them in the right order, and you've created a moment in time where the reader forgets about the late car payment, the dirty dishes, the impending workweek. You have created a state of bliss. Or negligence, depending on your perspective ” -- Darynda Jones heart
Back to top Go down
uapeople

PostSubject: Re: Outlander Series for NEW readers of the series   Fri Sep 09, 2011 8:19 am

LOL...and I read twilight....LOL...I still can't see how parents think this isn't a bad role model for a relationship... about a 100 (or 200 year) old vampire sneaking in Bella's (who is what 16) bedroom every night and stalking her making her lie to her parents and cutting her off from all her friends. Oh and then she is so obsessed she cannot do anything for months when he leaves....yeah real good role model relationship. I can say though that I enjoyed the twilight books. It's nice not to have to think. All the thinking and suspense if thought out for me. Mindless reading. Can't wait to see how they plan on doing the whole birth scene in the movie and the sex scene is gonna be hilarious with Edward trying not to bite her...LMAO!
Back to top Go down
FaeLadyFaye

PostSubject: Re: Outlander Series for NEW readers of the series   Fri Sep 09, 2011 5:06 pm

I've seen some very passionate feminist commentary about how awful Twilight is. Tween and teen girls sure do eat it up, though.
Back to top Go down
2shay

PostSubject: Re: Outlander Series for NEW readers of the series   Sat Sep 10, 2011 12:10 pm

I thought Bella was depressed and suicidal from the beginning. I wouldn't gift this series to teen aged girls.
Back to top Go down
Oh Yes

PostSubject: Re: Outlander Series for NEW readers of the series   Sun Sep 11, 2011 12:59 am

LOL - I was trying to figure out which scene you guys were talking about.

star Outlander star
It didn't seem like that big of a deal to me. I was a little ticked off, but I understood where Jamie was coming from, the way he was raised, the time, that it was hard on him too...all of that and the most important thing that he would never do it to her again.

star ABOSAA star
I am not very far into the book yet, because I have just been listening to it on audio while I can at work. Too many new books being released that I have to catch up on. I am at the point where she is meeting with the guy John Grey sent so not very far. I will try to get into it some more this week. I miss actually reading it although I love the audio too.
Back to top Go down
uapeople

PostSubject: Re: Outlander Series for NEW readers of the series   Mon Sep 12, 2011 5:45 am

ABOSAA is a roller coaster. Like a soap opera with a thousand plots and plots on top of plots. Have fun, like all the others it is a tear jerker.
Back to top Go down
Starbrites

PostSubject: Re: Outlander Series for NEW readers of the series   Thu Sep 22, 2011 12:44 pm

Diana Gabaldon tweets she has a facebook page. Just thought I would share it incase I wasn't the only one who didn't know. She should so Fb her daily lines there too.

https://twitter.com/#!/Writer_DG/status/116921862436564992
Back to top Go down
2shay

PostSubject: Re: Outlander Series for NEW readers of the series   Fri Sep 23, 2011 8:44 am

ohhh....thanks! I just liked her page!
Back to top Go down
Starbrites

PostSubject: Re: Outlander Series for NEW readers of the series   Sun Oct 02, 2011 8:46 am

Looks like DG is doing her daily lines on Fb for us as well. It's a killer waiting on these books!
Back to top Go down
Starbrites

PostSubject: Re: Outlander Series for NEW readers of the series   Thu Oct 06, 2011 6:14 am

Another perfect Jamie line in the making!!! heart

http://www.tweetdeck.com/twitter/Writer_DG/~ADJy7
Back to top Go down
Doppleganger
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Outlander Series for NEW readers of the series   Thu Oct 06, 2011 12:15 pm

Awww, Jamie has the best lines.

Thanks for the link Starbrites!

“I love language, words, and all the lovely, exciting, and heart wrenching things you can do with them. Pick the right ones, put them in the right order, and you've created a moment in time where the reader forgets about the late car payment, the dirty dishes, the impending workweek. You have created a state of bliss. Or negligence, depending on your perspective ” -- Darynda Jones heart
Back to top Go down
2shay

PostSubject: Re: Outlander Series for NEW readers of the series   Thu Oct 06, 2011 3:41 pm

I am actualy trying to skip the lines. There are so many snippets! It gets confusing. Well, for me.
Back to top Go down
Starbrites

PostSubject: Re: Outlander Series for NEW readers of the series   Thu Oct 06, 2011 8:47 pm

I would love to not look at them but I just don't have the self control.. Those daily lines are turning into a obsession.. smile
Back to top Go down
mlssglbrt9

PostSubject: Re: Outlander Series for NEW readers of the series   Sat Oct 08, 2011 8:01 am

I have been (finally!) reading Outlander. And, let me just say, Oh.. Jamie. Great suggestion, folks! This is good stuff. :-)
Back to top Go down
http://evolutionofalifestyle.blogspot.com
uapeople

PostSubject: Re: Outlander Series for NEW readers of the series   Sat Oct 08, 2011 8:19 am

I haven't had a chance to log onto any forums lately. Just wanted to peek in. I have not been fowwing the daily lines, but should. I have been overwhelmed emotionally and at work. Have fun reading newbie...and my gosh that Jamie line is amazing...swoon!
Back to top Go down
2shay

PostSubject: Re: Outlander Series for NEW readers of the series   Wed Oct 12, 2011 2:12 pm

Missi----Hi, again! Remember.....we live Jamie and Clare through our new readers. Post every single thought. Let us know where you are in the book......please.
Back to top Go down
mlssglbrt9

PostSubject: Re: Outlander Series for NEW readers of the series   Wed Oct 12, 2011 6:02 pm

2shay, right now I am at the castle with them. She's just recently taken over as the castle doc.
Back to top Go down
2shay

PostSubject: Re: Outlander Series for NEW readers of the series   Wed Oct 12, 2011 7:12 pm

Missi--That is so much fun! So much happens!
Back to top Go down
Doppleganger
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Outlander Series for NEW readers of the series   Wed Oct 12, 2011 9:44 pm

Ooooh, I loved reading about Claire as the castle doc. Especially when she reads about all the things her predeceser did. Oh my!

Claire is such a cool cucumber at the castle. But then she has a valuable skill, and she's both competant and confident. There's a lot to admire about Claire.
Me? I'd be useless in the 18th century. They'd make me clean the chamber pots.

Back to top Go down
mlssglbrt9

PostSubject: Re: Outlander Series for NEW readers of the series   Thu Oct 13, 2011 7:14 am

star (just in case)

Last night I sat down with my Kindle hoping to read a little before bed. Before I knew it, three hours was past (waaay past my bedtime) and Claire was married! I really didn't realize that I had read that long. Oh, coffee will be my friend today.
Back to top Go down
2shay

PostSubject: Re: Outlander Series for NEW readers of the series   Thu Oct 13, 2011 8:29 am

star Spoiler....Spoiler star

Missi...... twirling The wedding night! The wedding night! What did you think? You can post here or on the other Outlander thread if you want! I loved their wedding night! hugs
Back to top Go down
mlssglbrt9

PostSubject: Re: Outlander Series for NEW readers of the series   Thu Oct 13, 2011 1:04 pm

I am going to read it tonight! I stopped right after they got back to the room and were chatting and promising to always tell the truth... as much as they can.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Outlander Series for NEW readers of the series   

Back to top Go down

Outlander Series for NEW readers of the series
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 9 of 10Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next