SearchHomeMemberlistRegisterLog inFAQ

Share | 

Outlander Series for NEW readers of the series

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
AuthorMessage
2shay

PostSubject: Re: Outlander Series for NEW readers of the series   Wed Aug 24, 2011 4:31 pm

Clothes. Easy access to new clothes. That's a BIG one Fae.
Back to top Go down
Doppleganger
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Outlander Series for NEW readers of the series   Wed Aug 24, 2011 7:19 pm

I'm haven't checked on it, but I doubt there were public libraries filled with fiction novels back then. With the printing technology being what it was, I can't imagine that books were anything other than luxury items.

Even if I could have books, I'd be terribly tempted to make "other use" of the paper after I'd finished reading them. I love my books, but I NEED toilet paper.

“I love language, words, and all the lovely, exciting, and heart wrenching things you can do with them. Pick the right ones, put them in the right order, and you've created a moment in time where the reader forgets about the late car payment, the dirty dishes, the impending workweek. You have created a state of bliss. Or negligence, depending on your perspective ” -- Darynda Jones heart
Back to top Go down
Oh Yes

PostSubject: Re: Outlander Series for NEW readers of the series   Sun Aug 28, 2011 1:49 pm

roflmao Who doesn't need toilet paper! You know my grandmother and my mother used to tell me stories of using the sears catalog as toilet paper in the outhouse. We really have come a long way.

It wasn't that long ago that antibiotics were invented. I remember my great-grandmother thought she was the most blessed woman in the world because all of her 6 children lived. She boiled water and poured over all of her clean dishes to prevent dysentery, because back then diarrhea could kill you. My other grandmother was deaf because of a sore throat.

My mom was a weaver so the weaving, carding and spinning wouldn't be too bad. I don't think you would miss books so much because I imagine you are flippin exhausted by the end of the day.

Yeah, I would have dead too. I had an ectopic pregnancy when I was 27, which is still the leading cause of death in 3rd world countries for women.

I loved the part in Fiery when a letter or package would arrive and they would all get so excited! It is remarkable that a letter from Jenny could make it to the backwoods of North Carolina, when you think about it.
Back to top Go down
2shay

PostSubject: Re: Outlander Series for NEW readers of the series   Sun Aug 28, 2011 1:57 pm

It's the toilet paper that would make me feel really needy!
Back to top Go down
Doppleganger
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Outlander Series for NEW readers of the series   Sun Aug 28, 2011 8:10 pm

OY, I have the same Sears catalogue stories in my family! Apparently the trick is to rub three page back and forth in your hands for a while to soften it up first.

Antibiotics are amazing things. I wouldnt have made it past 16 without them.

“I love language, words, and all the lovely, exciting, and heart wrenching things you can do with them. Pick the right ones, put them in the right order, and you've created a moment in time where the reader forgets about the late car payment, the dirty dishes, the impending workweek. You have created a state of bliss. Or negligence, depending on your perspective ” -- Darynda Jones heart
Back to top Go down
2shay

PostSubject: Re: Outlander Series for NEW readers of the series   Mon Aug 29, 2011 3:40 pm

Antihistamines.......ahhhhhh.chooooooo!
Back to top Go down
uapeople

PostSubject: Re: Outlander Series for NEW readers of the series   Tue Aug 30, 2011 6:52 am

Sears catalog....that is soooo freaking funny. I wonder if Sears even knew where their catalog pages were going?
Back to top Go down
Greencat

PostSubject: Re: Outlander Series for NEW readers of the series   Tue Aug 30, 2011 1:59 pm

I'm 8hrs into Voyager! Slow but surly catching up.
Back to top Go down
Starbrites

PostSubject: Re: Outlander Series for NEW readers of the series   Tue Aug 30, 2011 9:45 pm

About what chapter would that be GC or where are you in the story?
Back to top Go down
mlssglbrt9

PostSubject: Re: Outlander Series for NEW readers of the series   Mon Sep 05, 2011 3:22 pm

I really want to read this series, but I am almost afraid to start it! I read some of the spoilers (they don't really bother me) and I am not so sure I can stomach some of the "customs" of Jamie's time, especially those regarding women. Is it that bad or am I worried for nothing?
Back to top Go down
http://evolutionofalifestyle.blogspot.com
FaeLadyFaye

PostSubject: Re: Outlander Series for NEW readers of the series   Mon Sep 05, 2011 4:21 pm

Get the books from the library and try it. The worst that will happen is you won't like it, and you can quit reading it.
Back to top Go down
Doppleganger
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Outlander Series for NEW readers of the series   Mon Sep 05, 2011 7:01 pm

I think the customs if Jaime's time are somewhat tempered by Claire's more modern perspective. And the fascinating way that Gabaldon presents it- she does her research!

But I'll be honest, there is one cultural/temporal difference that was disturbing enough to nearly make me stop reading. I'm glad I continued, but I still have to use a little selective amnesia about that scene.

Back to top Go down
2shay

PostSubject: Re: Outlander Series for NEW readers of the series   Mon Sep 05, 2011 8:16 pm

Missy...I agree with Dopple. I know exactly what scene she is talking about because I almost stopped reading at the same place. Keep in mind, though, that Clare's more modern perspective of the culture of the late 1700's is a lot of what the story is about. And love that is timeless. Take Fae's advise. Borrow from the library. Not everyone likes this series. It is almost a given. If you get past the first third of Outlander, you will almost surely be as hooked as me and thousands of others. There is a reason this is one of, if not the, best selling series in history.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Outlander Series for NEW readers of the series   Mon Sep 05, 2011 9:29 pm

I agree with both Dopple and 2shay. The scene they are talking about was disturbing, but I didn't have the same reaction as others as I equated it with the times (I definitely didn't like it, but it didn't hinder my reading of the series). However, this series is an emotional roller coaster. I think it depends on what has happened to you personally or others you know and how you handle certain scenes in this series. Just giving you fair warning.

I love this series, it is one of my favorites. Diana Gabaldon's writing is like no other. The time and research she puts in these books is incredible and it shows in the writing.

As the others have said, get it from the library and if you don't like it, you can stop and not feel guilty about wasting money.

If I HAD to pick a favorite in the series, it would be Outlander.

If you decide to read, please share your thoughts on the books.
Back to top Go down
uapeople

PostSubject: Re: Outlander Series for NEW readers of the series   Tue Sep 06, 2011 6:55 am

I agree with everyone. Try it and keep reading and don't stop until after the wedding (there is a lot of background etc and it takes a while for it to get rolling- all these things that seemed so tedious the first time are actually clues, etc for subsequent reads so nothing is there that wasn't meant to be- it is not filler) and then when you get to the part we are all speaking of...remember there are many explanations and it really wasn't as bad as we see it once you get them ....plus we all have many theories....come here and find out....we'll help you.
Back to top Go down
mlssglbrt9

PostSubject: Re: Outlander Series for NEW readers of the series   Tue Sep 06, 2011 7:55 pm

Ok... I think I am going to do it! Off to the library I go...
Back to top Go down
Starbrites

PostSubject: Re: Outlander Series for NEW readers of the series   Tue Sep 06, 2011 9:29 pm

I don't think you'll be disappointed. It's a very heavy and emotional story that just pulls at your heart strings.
Back to top Go down
sabby

PostSubject: Re: Outlander Series for NEW readers of the series   Tue Sep 06, 2011 9:59 pm

I def agree with folks missglbrt9, I'm one of the new readers to the series (still haven't finished). Its absolutely an emotional rollercoaster but as everyones stated well worth it!!! Happy Reading (or listening)!!!
Back to top Go down
2shay

PostSubject: Re: Outlander Series for NEW readers of the series   Wed Sep 07, 2011 11:22 am

Waiting to hear from Missy.....tapping foot...Missy? You don't have to say you like this if you don't. I just always hang out on this thread waiting for new readers....! Love to share. We all do.
Back to top Go down
Doppleganger
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Outlander Series for NEW readers of the series   Wed Sep 07, 2011 11:43 am

Outlander is one book thats fun to discuss, even when you are frustrated with it.
I remember doing a lot of yo-yo'ing between praising a beatiful or touching scene to bitching over you-know-what.

I can't wait to see your thoughts on Outlander, Missy!

Back to top Go down
mlssglbrt9

PostSubject: Re: Outlander Series for NEW readers of the series   Wed Sep 07, 2011 12:58 pm

It was checked out at my library, so I requested it from another. I should get it in a day or two. smile
Back to top Go down
2shay

PostSubject: Re: Outlander Series for NEW readers of the series   Wed Sep 07, 2011 3:47 pm

Missy...If you get past the wedding, I think you will hang with the story. There is a really bad thing that happens a while afterward. Talk to us if it skeeves you out.
Back to top Go down
FaeLadyFaye

PostSubject: Re: Outlander Series for NEW readers of the series   Wed Sep 07, 2011 4:21 pm

Personally, I didn't find it all that bad. I don't approve, but it wasn't the most difficult thing I've ever read by a longshot.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Outlander Series for NEW readers of the series   Wed Sep 07, 2011 5:58 pm

star Outlander star
Are you talking about the scene near the end FLF? That was the most horrific thing I've ever read in fiction. I seriously almost threw up it was that difficult to get through. Not just the act, but the spiritual breakdown is what got me. why!!! I don't think I've hated/despised/loathed a character more in my fictional reading history. Well, "L" comes a close 2nd. smile
How far did you get in the series FLF? For some reason, I was under the impression that you hadn't read the series.
Back to top Go down
FaeLadyFaye

PostSubject: Re: Outlander Series for NEW readers of the series   Wed Sep 07, 2011 6:37 pm

No, it wasn't near the end. I've only read about 3/4 of Outlander.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Outlander Series for NEW readers of the series   

Back to top Go down

Outlander Series for NEW readers of the series
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 8 of 10Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next